Search - User list
Full Version: openVDB from Particles with Color
Root » Technical Discussion » openVDB from Particles with Color
dmercel
Hi there,

I am very new to Houdini and am really struggling to get to grips with which nodes to use and when, and the main feature that brought me to it was the openVDB volumes, as I tend to use large point cloud data sets (produced from laser scanners) and thought it may be a great way to use them more effectively.

So what I am trying to do to get started is create a VDB volume from particles using some geometry that has point XYZ positions and RGB values (so Cd values). The points themselves look great and have color as expected, but when I create the VDB it loses the color attribute and I can't work out how to get it back.
It seems like I need to add that attribute to the VDB but when I do that nothing happens, and there is only one ‘point’ listed in the geometry spreadsheet.

I just don't know where to start looking and I would really like to understand how to proceed as it seems Houdini has some really powerful capabilities. I just can't access them

Any help is very appreciated.
Thanks.
Solitude
If you're creating geometry from the particles, (vdb -> convert vdb to polys) then the easiest way would be attrib transfer Cd from the particles to the mesh after the mesh is created.
dmercel
Thanks for the reply.

I am just wanting to create a VDB from particles really. This creates a sphere for each point in the geometry, but I want each sphere to have the colour of the original point.
This must be possible, but I just can't figure it out at the moment, as I don't really understand well enough how to share attributes between nodes and assign them correctly.

Any further help massively appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave
w_maro
hi

look at the video “Fallen Angel”
https://vimeo.com/122217238 [vimeo.com]

at Time 43:10 he talks about attribute transfere
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.