Search - User list
Full Version: Getting Maya shape or transform 'extra attributes' into HE
Root » Houdini Engine for Maya » Getting Maya shape or transform 'extra attributes' into HE
thedj28
Hiya!

I'm trying to get extra attributes from either the Shape or Transform node in Maya into my Houdini Engine Asset, so I can use it to control parameters inside of the Asset.

Ideally I would like to input curves into my HE Asset, and be able to read the Extra Attributes i have created on each curve as a primitive attribute inside of HE.

Is this currently possible? Thanks!

Daniel
awong
Unfortunately, you can't input extra attributes at the moment. It would be nice to have support for it though. I've added a RFE for this.

How would you set the values for these primitive/point attributes in Maya? For mesh, one way is to paint the attributes. But for curves, how would you set them?
thedj28
Looks like I can't

I can't get attributes on a per-object basis into my HE Asset unless I use color sets, and I cant apply color sets to curves (as far as I know, my Maya knowledge isn't too good)

For meshes, I can add an extra attribute to the mesh, and then use that to drive the color set values on the mesh itself.
thedj28
Found a workaround in case anyone is interested:

In our workflow, there are only a few curves that we need to add attributes to. So what I've done is make another simple HE Asset which just creates the attributes and exposes those parameters at the top OTL level. Then I plug this intermediary Asset into my main asset, and use it to control the attributes.

So rather than
Curve -> Main Asset

It goes
Curve -> Secondary Attributes Asset -> Main Asset

It seems there are issues with getting attribute values from Maya -> HE Asset, but attributes from HE Asset -> HE Asset does work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.