Search - User list
Full Version: $HOME
Root » Houdini Lounge » $HOME
Bernard
Hello,

I'm doing the vex tutorial:

http://www.digitalpostproduction.com/Htm/Features/2000/HoudiniVEX/HoudiniVex3.htm [digitalpostproduction.com]

They say to type $HOME in the textport to return a path. When I do this I get an error saying “ Can't open CDocum~1/Bern/MyDocum~1..”

Where is my Houdini $HOME path to put the VEX shaders?

Using H8.0.313 Apprentice

thanks,

bernard
edward
I think they really meant: echo $HOME
So in any case, the error message indicates the path to you. It's likely in C:\Documents and Settings\Bern\My Documents.
Bernard
thanks edward.
goldfarb
if you define your own $HOME variable make sure there are no spaces in the path…Houdini doesn't like spaces….
Bernard
Thanks arctor.
ben simons
Hey,

just a thought/tip - the last time i used Houdini on a Windblows platform i just made a new directory called “houdini” at the top of the C: drive, and then used that as my $HOME.

C:\houdini\

You never have to deal with spaces in directory names, and it's fast to find what you want, because there's less M$ directory traversal. It was a simple thing to do, but everytime i went looking for files I smiled. It's also convenient to access via cygwin shell, etc. Good for home-computing, but of course would be a nightmare in a shared environment.

cheers,
ben.

PS. All that “My Blah” directory nomenclature is so childishly possessive! "No!? It's MINE!!!?!" … I don't think M$ ever understood a shared filesystem. It's all mine mine!! I tell you! :-) haha.
edward
Personally, I use chome
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.