Search - User list
Full Version: BAKE PROCEDURALLY ANIMATED CLONES TO TEXTURE AND IMPORT INTO UNREAL ENGINE
Root » Houdini Engine for Unreal » BAKE PROCEDURALLY ANIMATED CLONES TO TEXTURE AND IMPORT INTO UNREAL ENGINE
212A
Houdini beginner here, I was wondering if anybody knew how to bake the colours from an attribute vop which has been applied to copied objects? I want to bring in the baked texture sequence into unreal and apply it to the houdini asset.

A
Olaf Finkbeiner
You would need to create and assign a “shader” that reads out the attribute colours and bake the textures of the objects.

O
ttvdsfx
Olaf is correct. Vertex colors (Cd) should come across. Additionally, if you can't use vertex colors, you can maybe utilize other uv channels (uv2 and up) or normals (N). These should all come across. You can also store your data in textures (ogl_texN or map, color or alpha planes) of a SHOP material applied to the object. In this case, material will be generated on UE4 side and all textures will be hooked up - you'd have to modify the material and add your custom sampling logic.

You'd also have to do it one frame at a time, perhaps have a parameter which controls which frame is being cooked. Since Houdini simulations are not really supported inside UE4 (limited support in playmode and that's probably not what you want).

Hope this helps.
212A
it worked thanks guys. I over rid the material with Cd and assigned the shader to the surface,after baking the texture and making a texture atlas with the cop network i loaded it into unreal, 512x512 seemed to work fine bit fuzzy around the edges.The process for baking the texture for 200 frames though started to split the atlas up into several frames in the composite tab.Can one load multiple texture atlases but they still play in sequence inside unreal? I now know that unreal's textures have a limit of just over 8000x8000pixels,so i can't ever make 1 sheet,i will have to load a sequence of atlases.
i'm currently using the flipbook node and texture object for the atlas in unreal, is there a more efficient way that i'm not using?

a
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.