Search - User list
Full Version: Maya's bi-rail equivalent in Houdini?
Root » Houdini Lounge » Maya's bi-rail equivalent in Houdini?
charlie_houdini
I've taken a look at all the SOP surface modeling tools and haven't found anything like bi rail in Maya. I hope I didn't overlook it.
jason_iversen
I assume you've thoroughly investigated the Rails SOP? You might look at the Sweep SOP and using two inputs on a Skin SOP.

What does Maya's bi-rail allow you to do?
rdms
jason_iversen
I assume you've thoroughly investigated the Rails SOP? You might look at the Sweep SOP and using two inputs on a Skin SOP.

What does Maya's bi-rail allow you to do?

Maya's bi-rail allows you to place profile curve along 2 path curves. So, yes, the rail SOP would be the equivalent. An oldie but goodie

Cheers,
Rob
old_school
Bi-rails allows you to take two profile curves and sweep-blend the two across the two rails.

Use the Skin SOP to do this. The first/left input to the Skin would be the start and end profiles. The two rail curves would go in to the right input.

The Skin SOP allows you to use more than two curves as well.

It is best to use the Skin SOP through the viewport at first. It inserts the requisite Reverse SOPs to get the orientation correct in to the Skin.
AndrewVK
RFE for skin SOP:
Is it possible to maintain “G2 continuity” if:
1. Crossections - G2 compattible
2. Rails - lay on the same plane

Example:

http://www.cgtalk.ru/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=3055 [cgtalk.ru]
old_school
I see exactly what you mean.

I will submit the RFE (Request For Enhancement).

Even a Join, Stitch or Fillet operation won't get you what you want without changing the boundary significantly.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.