Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini 16 to UE4 Pipeline: Fails to export.
Root » Houdini Engine for Unreal » Houdini 16 to UE4 Pipeline: Fails to export.
yurid9
I have come to the conclusion that I don't know what I am doing wrong. Basically, I am following this video {https://vimeo.com/200486713 [vimeo.com]} to create a simple fracture sim and then want to export the RBD sim as a vertex texture for UE4. For some reason, the exported FBX is only 8kb and I can't import it into Unreal. Also, the baked textures look wrong too.

Downloaded the GDC2017_VertexAnimationTextures.zip and copied the nodes exactly and it still fails to export properly. If I open up the file provided by Luiz, I can export it fine there.

It would be really helpful if someone could look at my file and tell me what am I doing wrong.

Also, vertext_aniamtion_textures in H16 is a subnetwork and looks different than the videos. I can import the node from provided by Luiz but it still doesnt work.

Cheers.
ZN-Games
Hi yurid9,

I've just checked your attached hip file and think that your object visibility should look like the first screenshot.

Inside your exploding ball, make sure to make the last node the visible one (screenshot2)

For export i would use rbd to fbx node (screenshot3).

Should work then.

Best regards,
Johannes
yurid9
Didn't know object visibility does anything other than show/hide the object. Gonna go home and take a look at the things you pointed out. Thanks a lot for your help

Cheers.
yurid9
ZN-Games
Hi yurid9,

I've just checked your attached hip file and think that your object visibility should look like the first screenshot.

Inside your exploding ball, make sure to make the last node the visible one (screenshot2)

For export i would use rbd to fbx node (screenshot3).

Should work then.

Best regards,
Johannes

Alright I figured out what was happening. I was installing the HDA provided by Luiz by going to Assets tab on the top and clicking on Install Asset Library. What I tried doing today was to copy and paste the HDA inside houdini\otls and it works

Cheers.
ZN-Games
I don't think that GDC2017_VertexAnimationTextures.zip is needed for completing the tutorial you mentioned (just use RBD to FBX), but if it works for you, it works for you
lkruel
I'm glad you guys figured it out We're hoping to have that HDA in the build shortly
anton_sergin1
Hello everyone.
I have some troubles with export to ue4
I'm using RBD to FBX node in OUT
It is building (imported fbx mesh) after voronoi scattering and using for them RBD Objects tool
In houdini its looks OK, but after exporting fbx to unreal engine in anim asset pieces just chaotic fly around
What is the problem?
ZN-Games
Hey Anton,

perhaps you could try to open your fbx in some other program, just to ckeck, whether the problem is on the unreal or houdini side.
Also updating houdini to the latest nightly build sometimes solves importing/exporting problems, as many of these features are new and get updated frequently.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.