Search - User list
Full Version: Hair/Fur into Maya as Alembic question
Root » Houdini Engine for Maya » Hair/Fur into Maya as Alembic question
Sam Rolfes
Hello, I have a groomed look and sim I am liking and wanting to use in Maya. When I export as Alembic it looks like the Sim and “guides” are in there nicely, but I don't actually see the hair_gen density etc. How do I convert the hair_gen stuff into GEO that I can export out? Thanks
awong
This question is probably better suited in the “Technical Discussion” board, since this board is for the Houdini Engine for Maya plugin. I can try to answer the question though.

The “hairgen” object is actually being exported as a single point. This is because the hairgen object is setup to render using procedural geometry by default. If you change the “Render -> Hair Generation” to “Use SOP Geometry”, you should be able to export the dense hair into Alembic.
Sam Rolfes
Thank you for the response
jessmeowlove
I am also having this problem. Did this work? If it did, where is the Render tab that links to the Hair Generation where I can change it to the SOP Geometry?
awong
The parameter is on the hairgen object. I've attached a screenshot showing where the parameter is.
ajayj937
Hii can any one help me in i have the problem is exporting fur into maya fir houdini
juliap
Did you try the solution that Andrew recommended above? - it does work in the sense that it brings in the curves to Maya. Although with that many shape nodes in Maya the performance for anything other than draw or render will make it unusable - i.e. you can't effectively select or edit individual curves with the viewport open - at least not with a realistic amount of fur. (and don't open the node editor) (Surprisingly enough, the outliner was ok with 100K curves)

If you need to modify the groom in Maya in any way, you'd be better off exporting the guide curves only and and using them to drive xgen.
ajayj937
Thanks you for helping me
But
If anyone wants to do the full scene final render with other object model lights etc. in maya then what to do
For example i just want to do the fur in houdini but the final render in maya white other think
johnmather
Hi Ajay,

If you import an alembic directly into Maya, like has been shown above, you will incur a major performance penalty as each curve is imported individually. For a groom, this can easily be in the millions of curves. In order to avoid this, the best option would be to see if your renderer has a proxy geometry node that will only import the file at render time. For example, VRay has VRayProxy and Arnold has Stand-ins.
ktonini
Sorry to resurrect an old thread, but for future reference, besides selecting "Use SOP Geometry" in Houdini, you need to create a redshift curve set in Maya. I suspect that was what was confusing some people - you can't just render the curves in Maya without that.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.