Search - User list
Full Version: unix mv and cp equivalent?
Root » Houdini Lounge » unix mv and cp equivalent?
addic3d
Hello! I'm trying the tutorials form http://cade.scope.edu/courseware/notes/houdini/ [cade.scope.edu] and I've reached the Scripting section. In the script sample I have unix mv and unix cp commands, but when I run the script those commands cannot be found. Is there an equivalent, like unix rm => urm ?
I'm using H8.0.383, Windows version

Thanks in advance!
pbowmar
I'm sure others will disagree, but whenever I have to use Windows, the first thing I do is install Cygwin, which is a Unix-like set of tools that include mv, cp and all the other Unix tools.

It's very very hard to make cross-platform scripts, since most large companies use Linux, but most home users are on Windows. Using Cygwin on Windows at least means most scripts will work on both platforms.

If you are not familiar with Unix, though, it can be tricky to set up correctly. Alternatively, you can change the script to use the DOS commands (mv is rename, cp is copy etc) but the DOS versions work a lot differently than the Unix versions, so that won't be easy either…

Cheers,

Peter B
addic3d
Thanks Peter! I think I'll wait and use that script on my linux box at home, thanks again!
wolfwood
pbowmar
I'm sure others will disagree, but whenever I have to use Windows, the first thing I do is install Cygwin, which is a Unix-like set of tools that include mv, cp and all the other Unix tools.

I do same with a twist. I install cygwin but don't actually use it as a shell since the way it handles paths can confuse non cygwin programs. So what I do is use the version of tcsh for windows, (ships with Houdini), but add the cygwin bin directory to my path so I can use those lovely tools like grep and find.
addic3d
:shock:
I'll try that! Sounds good!
Thanks for your reply Wolfwood!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.