Search - User list
Full Version: Texturing Resolution
Root » Technical Discussion » Texturing Resolution
johnnyreno
I'm working with the aprentice edition and having some texturing issues. I have a zebra that I want to apply some texture maps to that I painted in photoshop. I wasn't able to import any images over 480X480 at 72dpi (perhaps this is some limitation of the Aprentice Edition?). I'm attemping to get crisp “wavy” stripes, but at 72dip, the stripes look very “pixelated”.

I'm relatively new to this, obviously, and not sure the mose effective way to remedy this. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Thaks on advance.
stevenong
Hi,

There is no limitation to the size of texture maps you can use in Houdini Apprentice. May I know what image file format did you save your texture as? Also, how are you importing the image?

When you say “pixelated”, do you mean how the texture appear in the viewport or in the render?

Cheers!
steven
johnnyreno
I'm using the files in a layered shader (the basic technique taught in the texturing tutorials); I tried both .tif and .tga files. For example, in photoshop, I created a 2000X2000 image file at 300 dpi which I attached to the shader. When I applied the shader to my my model, the primitive groups that I applied it too went totally invisible or transparent in the viewport and they wouldn't render. Additionally, I couldn't get the texture to appear as background images in the uv layout pane at these sizes. I reduced the size of the textures until they would work in the viewport and render which turned out to be 480X480 at 72dpi, but at this size the quality is terrible; the stripes are very jagged/pixleated in both viewport and render.

I must confess that I didn't reduce the size by single increments until they worked; I made reasonable reductions until I tried 480X480 which I did because that was the highest size that I could get the “save texture image” function to work. Am I doing something wrong? ( I using a quadro900xgl on win2k) Thanks again…
johnnyreno
I just finished the “vops_textures” tutorial and was able to use my highres image without a problem so everything seems to be working. Still not sure why I couldn't get them to work with the layered shader…
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.