Search - User list
Full Version: UE4 Crashes when using Heightfield Erode
Root » Houdini Engine for Unreal » UE4 Crashes when using Heightfield Erode
IvanNinichuck
Hello,

Having the most odd problem currently. If I create a digital asset of a terrain it imports and works fine in UE4. However if I include a heightfield erode node into my asset it causes the editor to crash after attempting to cook the asset. I have no idea why this happening. I have tried creating a fresh UE4 project and it still occurs. I have also uninstalled and loaded a clean copy of Houdini. Currently I have created an hda with just three nodes for testing purposes. Heightfield, Heightfield noise and then the erode. I have attached my log from UE4 as well. Sadly, I am not able to fully understand what is happening and would appreciate any help.
GaryHanna
It's too processor intensive. Timeshift Node to select a single frame after your erode node followed by a file cache node to create a new file with the erode features burnt in helps.
dpernuit
Hi,

Tested your issue with the latest 16.5 but didnt get any crash with a simple HF > HF Noise > HF Erode setup in a HDA.
Heightfield nodes are actually using OpenCL, so it could have been a GPU issue, but looking at your log file, it seems that the erosion went fine and that the crash occurred after creating the Landscape data from the HDA..

There's a few things you can try:

- Like GaryHanna said, you can try adding a Timeshift node after the erosion, and force it to a given frame rather than $F.
This will ensure that the various masks created by the erosion node are not empty/flat and can be imported properly in UE4.
(empty/flat HF masks should just be ignored by Unreal, but I want to make sure there not the cause of your problem)

- Could you try removing the Erosion node and see if a simple HDA with HF > HF Noise > HF Mask Noise also causes you issues?
ipninichuck
Hello,

First of all thank you for all of your help troubleshooting this problem. It seems like there may have been just a case of my computer being funny. I finally got time to get back to troubleshooting and created some fresh projects to test this with. My terrain is now loading without an issue, but when loaded into the original project the crash still occurs. Not sure if it is something else I have activated in that project or just some random glitch, but it seems to work fine as I have now tried it in other projects as well. I apologize for this solution being so simple, before I posted I was sure I tried it in a fresh project, but perhaps I did not. Though my PC has been crashing quite a bit so something might have gotten jumbled there as well.

Thank you again for your time and patience.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.