Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini > UE4 Vertex Animation
Root » Houdini for Realtime » Houdini > UE4 Vertex Animation
jeremy2n
Hi, I am currently using this tutorial
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGmElCpxZnk [www.youtube.com]
as a guide to export FLIP sim's from Houdini to ue4.
I am currently having issues with the Cache/Export. I am able to export the sim at .75 density
but .01 still hasn't finished in over 20 hours. My machine has a gtx980TI and 64GB ram.
I am new to Houdini so any help here would be greatly appreciated.

main points of confusion are..
1. There seems to be several ways to cache a flip simulation from Houdini, is the way shown in this tutorial the best option?
2. Do I have to mesh the particle sim before I render?
3. Where exactly do I control the resolution of the final export
4. Is there a way to see how long the final render will take? Right now I can only see the time passed since the render was kicked off.

thanks!
mikelyndon-sesi
Hi.
1. When you use the shelf tools to create a fluid sim it sets up the nodes needed to write out the cache. I would suggest writing out the points and then the geometry. Use the nodes created instead of the method described in the video.
2. I would suggest meshing the particles before rendering. That step can be quite time consuming and you don't want to repeat it every time.
3. On the Vertex Animation Texture ROP the target polycount parameter controls the final output.
4. I think you can use the render scheduler to track the render time and time to finish. If you have cached your mesh before exporting the vertex animation texture the process is generally quite quick.
jeremy2n
Thanks for the reply!
This is really useful information, could you possibly give a more detailed explanation of how to cache “using the nodes created instead of the method described”

Also, when I Render from the Vertex animation ROP I'm pointing the export node to the CACHE_IN folder

If I cache using the nodes created instead of the method described in the video where do I point the export node to?

again, thank you so much for your help.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.