Search - User list
Full Version: Rhino IGES settings
Root » Technical Discussion » Rhino IGES settings
bryanta
Hello
Does any one know what iges output settings in rhino would be most to houdini's liking? The default ones are giving me some trim curve problems.
Thanks
Andrew

PS Does anyone else have trouble using dls with mozilla?
george
Hi bryanta,

One thing off of the top of my head is to make sure you limit the output of Rhino to degree 3 curves (well really anytihng less than 10). Hope that helps.

Take care,
George.
Dave_ah
Easier solution.

In Rhino IGES export. Set generic version to Maya or Softimage. Either works just fine.

As a practical matter, both Maya and Houd. seem to suppourt up to degree 9 NURBS. But try to keep you noyibs( ) 5 or below.

My personal reccomendation and my standard procedure, unless overridden by clients, is to tesselate into polys. Export the meshes as OBJ, one object per OBJ file. Working with polys at animation and rendering level is simpler and gives more control over UV coords. So model with NURBS but animate with polys.

Having said all that, IMHO, NURBS are unnessessary in this day and age of AWSOME AWSOME AWSOME sub-div suppourt by Houdini, Maya, and XSI. So if you have a choice, use sub-divs. Use polys for props and rigid surfaces. Characters are sub-div, fa'sure.

However (there is always a however ), don't neglect your NURBS skills. Large shops still require working with NURBS of it artists. I think they are all wrong and behind the times, but who am I wo make waves.

Dave Rindner
Siavash Tehrani
I'll have to disagree, NURBS still have their place. Many objects are quicker or more accurately modeled with NURBS IMO.
For example, I've seen lots of nice car models done in polys/subd, but they can never match the preciseness of a NURBS model.
I use both though, NURBS for non-organics, and polys for organics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.