Search - User list
Full Version: Flowmaps Help
Root » Houdini for Realtime » Flowmaps Help
Chris Dunham
Hey all,

so I'm working using the gamedev toolset, and made sure to update using the button inside Houdini.

I'm finding my flowmaps to be quite strange, If I put down a create flowmap node, set the values to 0 so no flow. Then convert to colour and export to unreal, I get constant movement in what looks like two equal axis/direction, but surely the flow should be 0 and theirfore 0 movement,

Looking into the tool it seems both x/y in Houdini are always set to the value of 0.5 when converting into a colour which I don't understand why,

If anyone could explain what reason this happens or why, or if this is actually a problem anyone else has faced?

On all tutorials Ive watched they don't seem to have any issues

Thanks
Chris
mikelyndon-sesi
Hey Chris,

I've replicated your setup and it seems to be okay. So a couple of questions.
Have you installed the latest version of the gamedev tools?
What image format are you exporting the flowmap as? Some image files have a built in colour space which can offset the values.
Does your object have uv's? We convert the velocity from world to uv space.

If you're setting the velocity to 0 then x and y would 0.5 because that's the centre value. The shader expands 0 - 1 values to -1 and 1. So 0.5 would convert to 0.

Mike
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.