Search - User list
Full Version: Vertex animation broken in Unreal
Root » Houdini for Realtime » Vertex animation broken in Unreal
antondessov
Hi, I am trying to get some fluid sims in Unreal and some are working, some aren't. So I can't figure out where the difference between the files is. There are 2 problem:

1. The loop of the fluid looks broken, in the middle of the sim there's a frame skip of sorts that I don't know why it's happening.
2. The file in Unreal is flat.

Here's the hip scene and some gifs to show the problems:

Houdini [i.gyazo.com]
Unreal [i.gyazo.com]

Any advice to solve this will be a great help! So far pyro seems to be doing well with the loop.
mikelyndon-sesi
The make loop node needs a fixed point count. The particle fluid point count is changing every frame. For this example I'd suggest wrapping a sphere around the blob and looping the animated sphere. You could also use the soft export instead of the fluid export because the point count would be consistent.

I managed to export it to Unreal without any problems. Have you checked your import settings and setup on the UE4 side?

Mike
antondessov
Thanks Mike, that's an interesting solution. I thought that by using the Fluid option and the particles before a mesh convert that it just manages to calculated it in some way. For this example wrapping a sphere definitely helps! I will try it with other examples, see what happens.

As for the Unreal, it turned out the map was set to Normal instead of HDR for some reason. That fixed it.
mikelyndon-sesi
Glad to hear it all worked out. Might I suggest using the VertexDisplacement texture compression. It's more accurate.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.