Search - User list
Full Version: Houdini Engine for 3ds Max
Root » Houdini Engine API » Houdini Engine for 3ds Max
JabbaTheNut
Any word on when this will be released? The site states late 2018. However, is there anything more definitive?
BrookeA
It will be released with Houdini 17!
JabbaTheNut
Sweet! Thanks
TATstudio
Hi guys.

Just installed the 17.0.352 and i can't load any Digital Asset in 3dsmax 2017 or 2019.
Does anybody here is able to make it work ?

3ds is flooding errors at launch :
Failed to load asset <C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.0.352\engine\tools\he_boolean.hda>:
Failed to load asset <C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.0.352\engine\tools\he_calculate_occlusion.hda>:
Failed to load asset <C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.0.352\engine\tools\he_curve_instancer.hda>:
Failed to load asset <C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.0.352\engine\tools\he_delete_small_parts.hda>:
Failed to load asset <C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.0.352\engine\tools\he_polyreduce.hda>:
Failed to load asset <C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.0.352\engine\tools\he_set_pivot.hda>:
Failed to load asset <C:\Program Files\Side Effects Software\Houdini 17.0.352\engine\tools\he_surface_instancer.hda>:

thanks !
-p-
BrookeA
Hi,

Those are the default shelf tools that are now included with all of the plugins. The plugin should not be failing to load those HDAs.

Can you confirm that they are not working by opening the Shelf tab and attempting to instantiate any of them as an object HDA?

Also, are you able to load any of your own HDAs?
TATstudio
Shelf tab is not doing anything for the moment and the houdini modifier too.
haven't try custom HDAs yet.

thanks
BrookeA
Do the tools exist in the directory that the plugin is looking, or are they missing?
TATstudio
I have HDA + JSON + PNG yes.

I also tryed to add this folder as startup HDA load directory in the options but no effect.
BrookeA
In the “Load Assets” tab, are you able to load one of your own digital assets? This should let us eliminate if it's just a problem with loading the shelf tools or a problem with loading assets in general.
Poulpito
Hi,

I have the same problem.

And i don't able to load one of my own digital assets.
Attempted to find asset <C:/Users/poulpito/Documents/houdini17.0/otls/poulpito_lpolyreduce.hdanc> in the loaded asset store, but it could not be found.
Failed to load asset <C:/Users/poulpito/Documents/houdini17.0/otls/poulpito_ppolyreduce.hdanc>:
BrookeA
Ah, I see why now. Are you using an Apprentice license? If so, Houdini Engine is not supported with an Apprentice license, so you will not be able to load or use HDAs in the 3ds Max plugin.
TATstudio
Indeed we wanted to try it quickly with an apprentice.
Does a core or FX licence integrate an engine licence or are they totally separated ?

edit : my bad. i've just relaunch with a FXlicence, and everything is working fine.
That's definitively the apprentice licence that is not supported.

edit2: i've just noticed something else : the engine is always launch at startup and unfortunately when rendering too (a job with no HDA).
So i will steal a licence to my FX team, even if i don't work on HDAs… i have to uninstall (or at least unload engine)
BrookeA
TATstudio
Indeed we wanted to try it quickly with an apprentice.
Does a core or FX licence integrate an engine licence or are they totally separated ?

edit : my bad. i've just relaunch with a FXlicence, and everything is working fine.
That's definitively the apprentice licence that is not supported.

edit2: i've just noticed something else : the engine is always launch at startup and unfortunately when rendering too (a job with no HDA).
So i will steal a licence to my FX team, even if i don't work on HDAs… i have to uninstall (or at least unload engine)

I'm glad to hear that it's working with the FX license.

Yes, right now the plugin always launches at startup. This is a top RFE for me to not launch the plugin automatically by default, and also add a user option that allows you to specify whether the plugin should launch automatically. This will allow you to do renders that don't have an HDA without taking a license. I'll update this thread once the RFE is complete.
BrookeA
This RFE is now complete and will be available in the next daily build.

I've added an option to enable/disable the HAPI session from automatically starting when 3ds Max starts. It is disabled by default. This will prevent licenses from being captured unnecessarily.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.