Search - User list
Full Version: Having trouble getting Houdini EXR renders to Davinci :(
Root » 3rd Party » Having trouble getting Houdini EXR renders to Davinci :(
peteski
Hi there,
Maybe someone with some experience in Davinci could help me out here.
I'm just having trouble getting my images to look the same in Davinci as they do in Houdini.

Here's my render in Houdini, I have the view set to 2.2 and the render at Gamma 1

In Davinci it's way darker but here are my colour settings

I'm not trying to match a grade or do anything tricky, I just want to render out some character turnarounds that will eventually be viewed as QT movs.

Any ideas,
Thanks
Pete
anon_user_37409885
set it to ‘Linear to Rec709’ in the media bin RMB:3D LUT/VFX IO
BabaJ
I'm using Resolve 12.5…and exrs always are darker like you have when I load them up.

I found I only have to adjust the gamma wheel, bringing it up usually between 0.1 and 0.25.(In Resolve)
jsmack
I wouldn't try to match gamma 2.2, it looks like shit. Get the aces ocio configs, and you should be able to get them to match.

http://github.com/imageworks/OpenColorIO-Configs [github.com]
peteski
Hey thanks for the response,
I managed to get pretty close using these settings, it still looks a lot more vibrant in Houdini though.

I haven't tried the ocio configs yet, not sure where to begin with that, which one would you use?
I'm really surprised it's such a challenge to get the same look in Davinci, I would have thought there'd be a way to make it exactly the same.

Thanks,
Pete
anon_user_37409885
can you upload your file please - color-space stuff is full of jargon but it's quite simple.
peteski
Here ya go, I hope that works okay. Let me know what you find!
Thanks,
Pete
anon_user_37409885
Yeah - it was my mistake - for perfect colour set the render to ‘linear to sRGB’ in DaVinci. I would use the RMB menu on the clip, not the project, but both work.
BabaJ
The one on the left is your ROP mantra render, and the one on the right is the Davinci 12.5 with default settings;

With the exception that Gamma is brought up to .22
peteski
Hey that's awesome, but I'm still doing something wrong
Are there any other places this is set? I tried both approaches but it still looks wrong.

Does this look right? I just made a new project to test it.

anon_user_37409885
dug into it and it's specific MacOS only setting in Davinci in preferences. See the attached project and screengrab for settings.
peteski
Woooo! It's working great!
Thanks thanks so much for all the help fuos!
anon_user_37409885
Nice! great to hear.
Alexandre Dizeux
was looking on the internet to solve this issue and I found the solution here, thanks !!
anon_user_37409885
Glad it helped!
fizzypopvfx
THANK YOU FOR THIS! Da Vinci has been driving me wild.

Project Settings

In Media Tab
Image Not Found
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.