Search - User list
Full Version: GameToolset RBD Director issue
Root » Houdini for Realtime » GameToolset RBD Director issue
Lucas_6666
Hi, (newbie here so this may be a silly question)

I've been spending a lot of time playing with the RBDFracture / RBDDirector and RBDSolver nodes from the GameToolset and by chaining 4/5 RBD Director I've been able to generate a nice desctruction animation for an asset that I've integrated into unreal. Now I'm working on getting my materials right in Houdini and do a Mantra render of my sequence.

The probleme I have right is that sometime, the RBD Director seems not be doing anything. For example, I' ll play my sequence an nothing happens, no forces applied, no fracture, anyhting (all nodes are enabled and I'm displaying the final RBD Solver node). Then I'll simply go back to any RBD Director that has a bounding object attached and check the “Visualize->Visualize Active” option and then sudently, all the physics starts working again… If I re-uncheck it, it stops working again.

So I have two questions:
* Is this the intended behaviour? Seems very weird that something labeled as visualise would actually “enable” something
* Am I suppose to do my render like that using the Packed primitives output of the Fracture or should I be using the render primitives output (which I have no clue on how to use…)

Any help greatly appreciated!
Lucas_6666
Ok, I think I found my issue, I had left the Visualizers -> Process Visualization parameter to RenderGeo. Looking at the RBD Fracture node this would return the unpacked primitives even on output 1.
What would make it work when selecting the “Visualize Active” is that this code path would force a repack of the primitives so the rbd would start working again as it's expecting packed prims…
Sskar
Thanks for following up Lucas, it helped me figure out my problem as well. I couldn't get the new “rbdmaterialfracture” node to play nice with Director nodes, and it turns out it also seems to return unpacked primitives as well. Running it through an assemble set to create packed geometry fixed it right up.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.