Search - User list
Full Version: New Houdini DVD: Procedural Modeling Of Cities
Root » Houdini Lounge » New Houdini DVD: Procedural Modeling Of Cities
wavesmack
HOUDINI 8 Procedural Modeling Of Digital Cities
Creating Smart Customizable Cities In Houdini
http://www.cmivfx.com/product_houdini_cities.asp [cmivfx.com]
(1st Edition, In High Definition)

cmiVFX is proud to announce the release of a series of several important DVD Tutorials for Houdini featuring David Gary.
Fully aware that teaching Houdini is not like teaching any other 3d package, these tutorials will focus on concepts that are specific to the procedural construction of digital assets.

Who should buy this DVD :
ANYONE WHO IS NEEDS A SERIOUS SOLUTION TO LARGE SCALE MODELING! All visual effects houses will benefit from the information on this DVD, even if they don't own a current version license of Houdini. This entire DVD was been made with the Apprentice version of Houdini, which is FREE and UNLIMITED ( it just has render size limitation, and of course don't forget to renew your free license every month ). This means, there's no need to work at ILM or Pixar, on overpriced SGI super-calculators. Just about anyone can learn real and serious 3d.
Of course the final renders and the files are in .hip , .otl format which are perfectly usable with both commercial and non-commercial versions of Houdini.

Content:
In this first DVD, you will learn how to create a complex city like Paris with elaborate allotments and buildings, ( and not just square streets and cube buildings), totally from scratch, in several steps:

-procedurally designing a realistic 2d streets pattern with VEX Cops
-creating complex allotments out of this pattern
-creating fully customizable elaborate shaded buildings ( using Digital Assets)
-create elaborate instancing of geometry and shaders
-having full control over any parameter of the buildings ( height, color, number of windows etc..) using maps and expressions.

Aside of teaching specific techniques, it unveils some key workflow techniques and methodology necessary to easily tackle down many modeling challenges.

Not only will this first DVD contain 4 hours of Quicktime video in HI-DEFINITION, but will it also contain .hip files, .otl files ,providing users not only with stuff to learn but with stuff they can use straight ahead in their productions: for this first DVD, the .otl and .hip files will provide them with a little procedural-modeling-of-city engine.

NOTE from David Gary:
Remember this old saying “Rome wasn't build i a day”, well with Houdini, in 4 hours, a city like Paris know virtually is. This series of DVD intend to show on some examples, how Houdini, with all this incredible workflow can make huge-sounding projects really accessible. I can't see how this could have been done so quickly and so easily, or even… just been done with any other software. Aside from providing efficient modeling techniques and tricks, it really shows how Houdini just “makes the difference”.
The community of Houdini users, especially the odforce community is very demanding and SESI has always been very close to them, and so do we intend to be: so we will launch a special forum for it hosted at cmiVFX web-page, where people can go and send ideas to make new DVD even closer to their needs. I would never have done this tutorials without their precious opinions, helps or advice. This simply wouldn't have make any sense!

For more information on this awesome new product, please visit:
http://www.cmivfx.com/product_houdini_cities.asp [cmivfx.com]
goldfarb
VERY nice

and don't forget this thread
http://odforce.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=3156 [odforce.net]

- still waiting for that L-Systems DVD
wavesmack
yes, the l-systems dvd is in the queue… lots of research and dev on the proper implementation of that though.

BTW, this dvd is FAR more advanced than the posted thread. Its almost a thinking city “so to speak”
goldfarb
glad to hear it…

it's nice to see material like this that actually takes advantage of Houdini's real strengths.
wavesmack
thanks, it very difficult to take something complicated to a common level in which people can actually benefit from.

in the future we will take the feedback from this group to make it even more controlled to the user base. but i think this was a really good start.

-c
lisux
Thanks wavesmack.
All learning material for Houdini is welcomer, evenmore if this DVD seems to be so interesting.
Just bought it!
Pagefan
Recieved my copy ere yesterday. This is going to be Houdini Tutorial Party Weekend (aka drink, sleep, eat and more drinking behind the computer)!
symek
BTW, this dvd is FAR more advanced than the posted thread. Its almost a thinking city “so to speak”
in the future we will take the feedback from this group to make it even more controlled to the user base. but i think this was a really good start.
This was said many times here and at odforce:
There is a lack of advanced materials on Houdini. Existing tutorials work well for beginners and there is no need to prepare another one (unlike Maya scenario when the user base is so big that it's reasonable to fight for such market even with fundamentals. Houdini begginers are rarely CG begginers…). We wait impatiently for advanced stuff - in which case you got us for sure! <- client consultation so to speak

cheers,
SY.
zoki
Hi
I got dvd and its great. lots of trick and nice workflow strategies which are hard to come by on your own.
cant wait to go through and make my own project with it…
nice work keep them coming!!!
z
wavesmack
thanks, we appreciate the props.

We DO have some new things coming out. But they will take a bit more time to build. But you can certainly post any topics you want to learn about. WE WILL ADDRESS THEM AT SOME TIME.

-c
wavesmack
I should also state this, you can always email me or post on our forum as well. We started a new vfxtalk forum didicated to anything regarding us:

http://www.vfxtalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=85 [vfxtalk.com]

questions, comments, tips OR WHATEVER.. can also be post here too.

so keep the requests for tutorials coming in. we build stuff based on what people really want to know.

-c
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.