Search - User list
Full Version: Some files with HDAs not loading up/ freezing.
Root » Houdini Engine for 3ds Max » Some files with HDAs not loading up/ freezing.
spf987
Hi, we would like to establish Houdini into our pipeline and have one FX license. I'm creating digital assets to use with our mainstay program which is 3ds max (2019).

I'm having an issue whereby some scenes with assets in them freeze/ do not load up again at a later time, or even on resetting 3ds max (memory also frozen in task manager details). I found a way to make it work more often after only a scene reset by deleting the asset, then hitting undo, and only then saving the file, but this technique doesn't work if you close 3ds max then reopen.

Has anyone else experienced this, might this be a bug, or could it be related to the Session setup? I've not seen any other reported post on this. I thought it might be related to the asset, but some files with the same asset open and others do not. There is nothing else in the file, just the asset. If it does sound like a bug then I will follow the instructions to report it.

I've read through the documentation, but the subjects of thrift sockets and pipes are totally beyond me and nobody at work has been able to help. Currently the session is set to Out of Process, but am wondering if it needs to be set to Manual as we are a studio. There may be others who need to use the license at some point.

Thank you.
BrookeA
Hi – could you PM me a .max file and an HDA that demonstrates the problem? I will have a look into what might be happening.
spf987
Hi BrandonA, thank you for your reply. I just sent a message but didn't find anyway of attaching a file. I thought maybe it would have asked when I pressed ‘Send’ but it didn't. Thanks.
spf987
Hi, in case anyone else has been having the same issue, after talking with Brandon from Sidefx and further testing, it seems the problem was due to a 3ds max modifier (smooth)on top of the asset object, which usually should work but in my case, was not.

Thanks to Brandon for helping and looking into this bug!

A work around I found was to create the asset not as a new object, but as a modifier asset on any piece of geometry such as a small cube. If you now put further modifiers on top (including smooth) then it is ok.

As a bonus, creating the asset this way as a modifier means you can create the asset already in situ and rotated as you want it if you have already made your dummy geometry, which is a nice time saver.

Hope this helps somebody else
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.