Search - User list
Full Version: Texturing messes up when merging with other geometry
Root » Houdini Lounge » Texturing messes up when merging with other geometry
Dean_19
Hi all,

I'm texturing a number of objects, when I merge the textured objects toghether, I get the ‘a miss-match of attributes was detected’ yellow error and the textuirng of certain merged objects messes up. I was told by a friend previously to rectify this error to use an attribute SOP to delete the attributes before merging to solve this miss-match problem, but if I do this in this case my texturing is lost. I've tried deleting selected attributes but this does not solve the problem.

The attributes on my problem geometry are:-

1 point attribute uv

4 primitive attributes shop_mi_material, ogl_shop, shop_ri_surface, shop_vm_surface

Thanks for any help on this.
wolfwood
Instead of removing the attributes, you could add them to the geometry that doesn't have them.
Dean_19
Would I use an attribute transfer for that or attribute copy etc.? What is the theory behind the error, just so I understand what is going on..it was explained to me but I've forgot concisely…….!
JColdrick
What's happening is that you have 2 or more streams of data you're merging, some have certain attributes assigned to them, some don't. As a convenience, Merge warns you when you're mixing multiple streams of data into one in this case, to help with debugging problems(e.g. down the line you see uv's in the data, assume everything there has them, then become perplexed when things don't map properly on some of the data). It's a really useful warning, will save your bacon when things don't go as expected.

Wolfwood's suggestion was to add attributes to the incoming stream that's missing them rather than deleting(the useful, in this case) attributes from the ones that do. Any attribute mis-match(not just uv's, but all the attributes you mention) will give a warning. If you know what's going on, it still “works”, it is just a warning not an error(warning = yellow, error = red), but it's good form to match up attributes when making data stew. You know better than I which of those attributes you really need(for instance, you won't want some data with shader assignments and some without, unless you're going to stamp all over that later on down the line). Personally, I would use the standard SOPs that assign these attributes to add them rather than the Attribute SOP(for example, UVTexture, Shader…), but you can manually, but carefully mimic them in Attribute.

Cheers,

J.C.
Dean_19
Thanks JC….well explained! 8)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.