Search - User list
Full Version: Cannot package project with Houdini plugin enabled (UE 4.21.2 Houdini 17.5.173)
Root » Houdini Engine for Unreal » Cannot package project with Houdini plugin enabled (UE 4.21.2 Houdini 17.5.173)
jtsadlerjr
Steps to reproduce:
1. Create a new project in 4.21.2 based on C++ Third person template.
2. Make sure Houdini plugin is enabled and try to package project for Windows(64-bit).
3. Receive the following error.

UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Running: C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.21\Engine\Binaries\DotNET\UnrealBuildTool.exe MyProject Win64 Development -Project=C:\Users\jtsad\OneDrive\Desktop\MyProject\MyProject.uproject  C:\Users\jtsad\OneDrive\Desktop\MyProject\MyProject.uproject -NoUBTMakefiles  -remoteini="C:\Users\jtsad\OneDrive\Desktop\MyProject"
-skipdeploy -Manifest=C:\Users\jtsad\OneDrive\Desktop\MyProject\Intermediate\Build\Manifest.xml -NoHotReload -log="C:\Users\jtsad\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\C+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_4.21\UBT-MyProject-Win64-Development.txt"
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Using Visual Studio 2017 14.16.27023 toolchain (C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2017\Community\VC\Tools\MSVC\14.16.27023) and Windows 10.0.17134.0 SDK (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10).
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Houdini Engine : Looking for Houdini Engine 17.5.173 in C:/Program Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini Engine 17.5.173
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Houdini Engine : Looking for Houdini 17.5.173 in C:/Program Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 17.5.173
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Houdini Engine: Found Houdini in C:/Program Files/Side Effects Software/Houdini 17.5.173
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): ERROR: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildBinary.<>c.<SetupBinaryLinkEnvironment>b__37_1(FileItem Item) in D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Saved\CsTools\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\Configuration\UEBuildBinary.cs:line 752
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at System.Linq.Enumerable.WhereSelectListIterator`2.MoveNext()
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at System.Linq.Enumerable.Any[TSource](IEnumerable`1 source, Func`2 predicate)
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildBinary.SetupBinaryLinkEnvironment(ReadOnlyTargetRules Target, UEToolChain ToolChain, LinkEnvironment LinkEnvironment, CppCompileEnvironment CompileEnvironment, List`1 SharedPCHs, ISourceFileWorkingSet WorkingSet, DirectoryReference ExeDir, ActionGraph ActionGraph) in D:\Build\++UE
4\Sync\Engine\Saved\CsTools\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\Configuration\UEBuildBinary.cs:line 752
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildBinary.Build(ReadOnlyTargetRules Target, UEToolChain ToolChain, CppCompileEnvironment CompileEnvironment, LinkEnvironment LinkEnvironment, List`1 SharedPCHs, ISourceFileWorkingSet WorkingSet, DirectoryReference ExeDir, ActionGraph ActionGraph) in D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Saved\C
sTools\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\Configuration\UEBuildBinary.cs:line 193
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at UnrealBuildTool.UEBuildTarget.Build(BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, CPPHeaders Headers, List`1 OutputItems, List`1 UObjectModules, ISourceFileWorkingSet WorkingSet, ActionGraph ActionGraph, EHotReload HotReload, Boolean bIsAssemblingBuild) in D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Saved\CsTools\Engine\Source
\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\Configuration\UEBuildTarget.cs:line 2173
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): at UnrealBuildTool.UnrealBuildTool.RunUBT(BuildConfiguration BuildConfiguration, String[] Arguments, FileReference ProjectFile, Boolean bCatchExceptions) in D:\Build\++UE4\Sync\Engine\Saved\CsTools\Engine\Source\Programs\UnrealBuildTool\UnrealBuildTool.cs:line 1503
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): (see C:\Users\jtsad\AppData\Roaming\Unreal Engine\AutomationTool\Logs\C+Program+Files+Epic+Games+UE_4.21\UBT-MyProject-Win64-Development.txt for full exception trace)
PackagingResults: Error: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
UATHelper: Packaging (Windows (64-bit)): Took 4.4392212s to run UnrealBuildTool.exe, ExitCode=5
bobcober
I would recommend disabling the plugin for packaging - it is not needed for runtime afaik
dpernuit
Hi,

Thanks for reporting this, we're already aware of that issue actually and are working on fixing it.

So far, I can only offer a workaround for it:
You should be able to package the project if you move the Houdini Engine plugin from the unreal engine plugin directory to your project's plugin directory.

(from UE4/Engine/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine to PROJECT/Plugins/Runtime/HoudiniEngine)
eitch
Thank you dpernuit!
Finally unreal houdini engine for android!!!!
You made my day !
eitch
I was wondering if there is a workaround for substance materials or if there is some kind of workflow. The only way I got it to work is by using the Merge Actors tool in unreal to force bake the substances. Certainly not the best way, but hey, it works
Tertium
1.5 years have passed, the same here. But thanks for workaround!
tuatec
Not sure if this is a valid workaround but in my case the packaging worked afterwards.

What I did was change:
{
"Name" : "HoudiniEngineRuntime",
"Type" : "Runtime",
"LoadingPhase" : "Default"
},...
to
{
"Name" : "HoudiniEngineRuntime",
"Type" : "Editor",
"LoadingPhase" : "Default"
},...
in <path/to/install>\UnrealEngine\UE_4.26\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine\HoudiniEngine.uplugin
jhtop96
I had the same problem. But I fixed the engine plugin's .uplugin file through your solution, but I get the same error. Do I have to download and use the engine source code from GitHub instead of the Epic library?
spieluhr_x
2022, same issue with the Houdini Engine when packaging projects for Windows(64-Bits) in UE 4.27.2

Disabling the plugin leads to another error so it wasn't an option.

The only thing that worked was removing the plugin completely (Delete the C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_4.27\Engine\Plugins\Runtime\HoudiniEngine)

Or the tuatec solution, which is the best solution so far.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.