Search - User list
Full Version: Switching/Bypassing
Root » PDG/TOPs » Switching/Bypassing
SirAlucard
Hi !
I'm currently processing some cloths over shots, meaning I have a simulation part of process and graph, and a warp part.
All of the shots are driven with csv and I want to be able to say for this shot I want sim+warp, or this one just warp and so on.
But after a lot of tries I can't find a way to switch efficiently, or bypass some part of graph:
- Switch can't take expressions
- For some reason a split make my rop_geom crash right after.

How can someone bypass some part of graph then ?
Thanks !
Alex
seelan
Split node with an expression is what I would recommend. We used it for the PDG Environment demo for skipping terrain erosion and road building on certain terrain tiles.

Do you have a crash report or any error/log info you can provide?

Try the split node with a simple case and see if it works.

Which version of Houdini are you on? Try with a newer daily build.
Andr
Apologies to the OP for the little OT,
regarding the mentioned Split node, I noticed that when applied on partitions the returned results are simple workitems.
So, how one can split partitions without losing them?

cheers
SirAlucard
I'm using 17.5.293. Split seems to work but I finally did a different way which might be more of a PDG way of doing things, ie separating jobs at first and then doing the chains even if I had to duplicate the parts of sim and warps which I wanted to avoid in the first place but well at least it work.

Regarding the rop crash, haven't retried but I wouldn't be surprised if it was tied to a strange behavior I noticed, sometimes things crash or don't work well. Then you save and somehow it seems to flush things and make things going on well. Don't know if it's me just tired or something happening

On a sidenote, is there any more case study examples on the way about PDG ? Like the ones from the launch event for example. I really believe some of my problems comes from a bad use of the graph (for example trying straight away a switch as usual when it's not the way to do it here) and that would be great to have more concrete examples for specific tasks

Thanks for your answer !
kenxu
Yes, we know we're still short on training material. Two are in the works, a master class that should drop within days, and another demo in time for Siggraph. We'll continue to work on them - it's a fairly deep technology with a lot of things to point out.
SirAlucard
That's awesome to hear thanks !
I'm keeping working on it and almost close to the initial goal, if I can actually send all my clothes shots on the farm at once then it's gonna be a big mission accomplished for PDG
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.