Search - User list
Full Version: HDA to UE4 normal maps issue, help!!
Root » Houdini Engine for Unreal » HDA to UE4 normal maps issue, help!!
JOKER-JK
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone noticed that there is a normal map issue when you load or generate geometry from HDA in UE.

please see pictures attached

load an fbx format geometry directly in UE, the shadows generated through normal maps would be correct.

load a geometry through HDA(with a file node inside) or generate geometry from HDA, the directions of shadows are wrong, it seems they are following a tangentv direction.

Could anyone tell how to slove this problem, thanks
dpernuit
Hi,

Have you tried changing the “recompute normals” option in project settings / Houdini Engine?
JOKER-JK
dpernuit
Hi,

Have you tried changing the “recompute normals” option in project settings / Houdini Engine?

thanks, dpernuit, it works!
YUNA0820
dpernuit
Hi,

HI,
Thanks! It does work when I change the “recompute normals” option to “always”.
But I am wondering that,if I change the Normal intentionally in Houdini(like setting all normal to (0,1,0)), will this change fail when I bake this mesh in UE4 under that “recompute normals” option?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.