Search - User list
Full Version: PDG support with tractor (ropfetch and native pdg ris node)
Root » PDG/TOPs » PDG support with tractor (ropfetch and native pdg ris node)
mestela
We're in the home stretch on our short film at the university, a few things have changed in the 2 months since we last rendered. Might need a bit of love from both the Pixar side and the Sidefx side, cross-posting this on both forums to be sure.

We can get the PDG fetch node to execute a Mantra ROP in another network with Tractor, but it fails when we point it to a RIS ROP. It looks like it's expecting a SOHO interface, which doesn't exist in the new Renderman-for-Houdini:

ERROR: The attempted operation failed. Error: No soho script program specified for output driver: RFH.py.
So ideally we need 2 things:

-a native RIS PDG node
-RIS ROP compatibility when run from a PDG fetch node.

This is pretty important for us, we can't render without PDG support!

Cheers,

-matt
rafal
From the error, it looks like SOHO is trying to evaluate ‘soho_program’ parameter on a ‘RFH.py’ ROP node. The ROP node ‘RFH.py’ is a bit suspicious, since it's the name of the script that the ROP is supposed to execute, rather than name of the ROP itself.
kenxu
… Also, the RfH ROP is something maintained by Pixar. We'll raise it with them in our next meeting, but it would help also if you raise it on their forums.
mestela
Duly raised!

The fetch failure is my fault though; we're running rez, and realized we're running a different environment on the farm vs what we do on workstations, and the farm wasn't getting the renderman-for-houdini paths.

A native ris pdg node would be great though.

-matt
dave_o
Does anyone know if this was ever sorted out? I'm running into the same thing with prman 24.3 in Houdini 18.5.696

Was looking at this:
https://www.sidefx.com/docs/hdk/_h_d_k__s_o_h_o__examples.html#:~:text=If%20you%20get%20an%20error,find%20the%20Hello1.py%20program.&text=which%20should%20print%20out%20the%20full%20path%20to%20the%20file.

Which indicates that the RFH.py should live in a soho subdir in a folder in the HOUDINI_PATH

In our Renderman Studio Houdini install I see:
soho/python2.7/RFH.py

I've tried creating a symlink to this file in the soho dir, and also tried adding the soho/python2.7 folder to PYTHONPATH

Still getting:

Error: No soho script program specified for output driver: RFH.py.

when trying to render with the Renderman ROP...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.