Search - User list
Full Version: MacOs stablity / performance
Root » Houdini Lounge » MacOs stablity / performance
anon_user_37409885
Sadly, more badness. Disappearing hair and viewport slowdowns. MacOs might not be Houdini ready???

EDIT: Missing hair bug logged as Bug #100391
curveSop slowdown bug (ID# 100483)
filipw
Tested your viewport file on 17.5.327, MBP15 (2017) with 560m GPU on Mojave 10.14.6. Got around 90 FPS. The first scene worked fine as well.
anon_user_37409885
Seems to be a AMD bug.
filipw
What machine are you running on? Is it a real mac or some kind of hackintosh? And what AMD card? There has been some issues with the vega series over the years, especially 10.14.5 was very problematic on vega64/radeon vii etc
anon_user_37409885
That sounds pretty sad for the new Mac Pro, considering AMD is the future on this platform…

This machine is a Mac Pro 5.1 with a RX 580 8GB. It was reconmended on the Apple website.
Midphase
The RX 580 is very safe in OSX. I don't know exactly what is going on, but a good test would be to see if you can install Houdini on a different Mac and see if the problems persist. Sometimes these things are not easily repeatable, even with identical systems.
Midphase
Ok, I just opened your Curve file. Here's what's happening (this is on my Mac Book Air running the latest Catalina and H.391):

In the OBJ context, there are no slowdowns.

In the SOP context, if I select the Auto-Select PSR tool, then I experience the slowdown, however, if I click on the Move, Rotate or Scale tools individually, then I experience no slowdown. Further, if after clicking on the Move tool, I go back to the Auto tool, the slowdown is gone.

Sounds like a bug, and since I don't have an AMD GPU on this machine, I'm pretty sure it's not AMD-related.
anon_user_37409885
Looks like its just bad houdini code - 1080ti, Linux and viewport drops from >120fps to 40 displaying 300 points. Just is way worse on MacSO
anon_user_37409885
Is anyone getting stuck in tumble mode on MacOS? Where you need to press esc key to get out.

H17.5.417

P.S. jumping on a Windows laptop, Houdini runs way better. i7-7700HQ 4 core @ 2.8/turbo 3.8, Win10, gtx 1060, 16GB ram. Not getting any of the sillyness seen in this thread. Sad.

EDIT: unfortunately Windows also has the hair disapperaing issue with HQ lighting… maybe Linux is the only good one out there! Bug (ID# 100479).
Midphase
goat
Is anyone getting stuck in tumble mode on MacOS? Where you need to press esc key to get out.

H17.5.417

I think it happened to me before, and I traced it down to a funky Bluetooth mouse/keyboard combo.
anon_user_37409885
can you please try - view tool/camera icon.

Press LMB, then click RMB (whilst holding the LMB), then release LMB, then release RMB. The viewport should stay locked in tumble mode.

EDIT: This issue affects the tab menu too. Once you do the LMB then RMB release trick, as above, the tab menu then automatically will drop a node when your cursor leaves the submenu. This causes the wrong node to be dropped and much frustration. See screen recording.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.