Search - User list
Full Version: [solved] Houdini freezes forever when cooking topnet with python
Root » PDG/TOPs » [solved] Houdini freezes forever when cooking topnet with python
Andr
I'm trying to cook a topnetwork (not the simple sop topnet) inside my digital asset.
I tried both using the executeGraph() function and the topnet.parm('cookbutton').pressButton() function.

Both solutions would make Houdini stuck forever. No files are produced. Need to kill Houdini from the task manager.
If I manually press with the mouse the cookbutton parm ( ‘Cook Output Node’ ) everything works as intended.
So I don't understand why when I emulate the button press with the pressButton() function it wouldn't work.
If needed I'll try to make an example file, now I'm on the rush

cheers and thanks for any help!
Andr
The offender was specifically the Rop geometry output node. If it is set as output of the topnetwork it would freeze houdini, when using the topnet.parm('cookbutton').pressButton() function. (manual press would work instead, weird!)
Intead, when using other output nodes (like csvoutput) the topnetwork would always save the csv files to disk when triggered by the function.

My setup is the following:
the digital asset create a bunch of points with attributes, that are fed into the topnetwork. The attributes are reworked inside the topnet and then used as @pdg_attrib to work some variation on a target geometry (the input of the digital asset)

If I stashed (with stash node) the points produced by the digital asset, before feeding them to the topnet, everything would work fine. With no stashing the aforementioned freeze would occur.

Another way I could fix it, I just cleaned the inside of the digital asset. There were probably some conflicting nodes (maybe the two other unused topnets? ) that would trigger a freeze when the pressButton() function was invoked.
I don't know.. anyway, after this cleanup of nodes, everything seems to work just fine. No freeze.
tpetrick
If you have a test .hip that you can post, that would be helpful in tracking down the issue. From your description it sounds like you're using a TOP SOP, not a plain TOP network? I suspect that's part of the issue as well.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.