Search - User list
Full Version: FBX exports have incorrect orientation and normals in Maya and Unreal
Root » Houdini for Realtime » FBX exports have incorrect orientation and normals in Maya and Unreal
bkohrman
I'm having a problem trying to export geometry for use in Unreal. When I import my exported fbx into Unreal, the normals are all reversed and the object is rotated 90 degrees. If I import the fbx to Maya, the orientation looks correct, but the normals are not.

Here are some steps to repro this problem:
I fracture my geometry, then apply a Normal node to create correct normals. I'm not using packed geometry.
I then use the Static Fracture Export node to export some fractured pieces for use as destructible mesh chunks in Unreal.
I export the FRACTURE_CONTAINER obj using File/export/Filmbox FBX…

Things I've tried:
Reverse normals in Houdini and then export. No fix.
Export to fbx with regular houdini normals, then open in maya and reverse normals. No fix.
Swizzle @P and @N various directions using point/vert wrangles. No fix.

Is there some setting somewhere I can change that will correct this? What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!
BK
bkohrman
Well, I rebuilt most of my graph from scratch testing the export at many points, and the normal problem never showed up again. I really don't know what it was, but maybe there was some attribute I had added that screwed up exporting? This was really strange. I've had this same problem before, and I still don't know how to solve it or what causes it.

The rotation problem still happens every time when I import a static mesh. It's 90 degrees rotated. I tried changing the import rotation in the import settings and reimporting it, but it had no effect. Does anyone know what could cause that, or how to fix it?

Thanks again,
BK
bkohrman
Oddly, if I import the fbx inside the destructible mesh as fbx chunks, it comes in rotated correctly. This is a problem because now the static mesh and the destructible chunks don't line up.
Blikpils
Did you ever fix the rotation issue?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.