Search - User list
Full Version: Multi-threading: Single work Item
Root » PDG/TOPs » Multi-threading: Single work Item
Marti_M
Hi all.

I am struggling a bit with managing multithreading during the processing of the TOPs graph.

I have lots of light work that should run in parallel and the two steps that are memory intensive and need to run in sequence but on all cores.

Things I tried:
Creating new scheduler (set it to single only and the CPU or thread count to max) - this runs but never runs multithreaded.

Setting the FetchROPS to single only and the CPU or thread count to the max - this runs but never runs multithreaded.

Is there some magic to manage the CPU/count on a single work item? It always seems to be single-threaded.

Thank YOU!
BrookeA
Hi, are you setting the Houdini Max Threads parameter in the Job Parms folder?
Marti_M
Yes, I am. Any suggestions?
BrookeA
Are you able to attach your .hip file?
Marti_M
BrandonA
Are you able to attach your .hip file?
Indeed the scene is attached.
BrookeA
Hmmm, I'm not able to reproduce the problem. I'm seeing max utilization across all of my cores when I run the ROP Fetch. A couple questions:

- Which Houdini build are you on?
- Which operating system are you using?
Marti_M
- Which Houdini build are you on?
Latest production build. 17.5.425
-Which operating system are you using?
Win 10 currently

will try to nuke my preferences and see if it helps.
Marti_M
Update resetting prefs helped. Thank you for the help Brandon (kinda pointed me to it is me not you") direction! Now to figure out what was the culprit.

M
BrookeA
No problem! When a job is scheduled by the local scheduler, it will set the job's HOUDINI_MAXTHREADS environment variable to the value of its Houdini Max Thread parameter. If something in your environment was overwriting that value, that may be a potential culprit.

Glad that it's working now!
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.