Search - User list
Full Version: Modeler 1.0
Root » 3rd Party » Modeler 1.0
Alexey Vanzhula
Modeler 1.0 for Houdini released!

Free for all the DM 2.* users. $70 for the DM 1.* users.

https://gum.co/xKBKM [gum.co]

What's new:

1. DM now renamed to Modeler 1.0

2. new feature: the DM menu (Z hotkey) has been replaced with a new alignment menu where you can use tools for fast and accurate transformation.
The menu includes the whole set of tools for working with a compass, geometry centring, quick flattening with gestures
and many other transformation tools. Use the hotkeys for the tools of the old DM menu.

3. new feature: Deform Menu (N hotkey) with lots of interactive deformation tools including a new Lattice tool

4. new feature: MODELER_PICK_STYLE environment variable allows to override Modeler startup selection pick style.
Add it to the houdini.env file. Use “Box”, “Lasso”, “Brush” or “Laser” values, then restart Houdini.

5. new feature: the hard and soft boolean tools are now combined in a new menu called Boolean (J hotkey)

6. new feature: a Fix Curves tool helps get rid of broken lines in open polygons. This helps when beveling corners of open polygons.

7. new feature: a Select Curves tool helps to select open polygons (curves) in the model

8. improvement: now some tools can create curves and process them. For example, the Extrude tool can produce lines from selected points.
The Collapse tool can flatten open polygons (curves). The Connect tool can be used to cut a segment between two selected points or connect two open faces.
The Push tool now properly moves points in open faces.

9. improvement: the RMB menu of the Push tool has a new item Toggle Connectivity, which allows you to move points, capturing the points of other closed pieces

10. improvement: the Push tool now works slightly faster

11. improvement: the Push tool can now slide point with Ctrl+MMB

12. improvement: the mouse and keyboard shortcuts of the Push tool have been completely redone

13. improvement: if nothing is selected, the Hose tool searches for all the curves in the current geometry

14. improvement: a Group parm added to the Hose Tool. Can be used in conjunction with a result of the Duplicate tool

15. improvement: Hose now creates straight edges tube if the Resample Curve set to zero value

16. improvement: Geometry Library renamed to KitBash and works only as the python panel

17. improvement: KitBash replace feature now doesn't update the item icon

18. improvement: Tools Panel now has a new category KitBash with tools for working with the library items.
Now you can create, save, overwrite and update icons faster, without actually working in the KitBash panel

19. improvement: volatile edge sliding now does not require explicit movement of the mouse pointer to the edges

20. improvement: volatile edge sliding now can be used to slide points and faces

21. improvement: Fix Overlaps can now use face groups

22. improvement: Duplicate applied to edges now creates a curve in the current geometry object

23. improvement: the Resymmetry tool now works slightly better. The Tollerance parameter is no longer saved between nodes ().
This allows you to not change the position of the seam points.

24. improvement: mouse wheel manipulation in various tools has been improved

25. improvement: new simple box type has been added to the QPrimitive HDA

26. improvement: Tools Panel now has a more logical structure for faster access to popular tools

27. improvement: the Modeler shelf was fully revisited

28. improvement: the Walk History Up and Walk History Down tools (Up and Down hotkeys) now work more
interactively when traveling through nodes with more than one input or output.

29. improvement: the Select By Shells tools was replaced with a new Convert To Shells tool (Ctrl+1)

30. improvement: double-clicking with LMB in the viewport is completely revisited.
Now you can jump to objects level by double-clicking LMB in an empty space.
Clicking on a geometry allows you to quickly switch between objects.
If you are in a certain state, double-clicking activates the selection mode.
All these improvements speed up the modeling process.

31. improvement: the deformation tools (Size, Ramp, View) now have the fixed blend feature. The transition between the deformable
points and the undeformable part looks more correct.

32. fix: Hose now orients rings copies correctly

33. fix: Slice, Mirror and Cut tools now set correct geometry center on tool activation

34. fix: JumpUp and JumpDown tools does not work when Compass is active

35. fix: QLight now works properly if you run it from the orthographic viewport

36. fix: sometimes camera movement with Alt did not work after a mouse click

37. Lots of tools have changed hotkeys. Look at Tools Panel for more details.

38. Python code has been revisited

39. Documentation has become more detailed

40. Overall speed improvement

41. Other improvements

Works only in Houdini 18. Use build >= 18.0.346

Midphase
I gotta be honest with you, as a past customer and someone who is interested in giving you more of my money, the lack of proper and voiced tutorials is a big turnoff. I believe your set of tools could be actually quite amazing, but they are not as intuitive as you seem to think, and because of that I hardly ever use them. It's a shame because I do think you're an incredibly smart dude who probably can't speak good enough English to make a proper tutorials, but who would benefit immensely from a series of well crafted tutorials.

My advice to you is to find someone who can create tutorials for you. Offer that person free copies and a cut of your profits and I will bet you that your sales will skyrocket. Look at Entagma and MOPs tutorials as inspiration.

Last but not least, a 30% discount to past customers for what is effectively the same tool with some additional bells and whistles seems…unfriendly. I realize you worked very hard for these new changes, but you have to look at it from the perspective of someone who purchased DM 1.5, Modeler 1.0 is basically the same tool with some improvements and bug fixes, and paying almost the same amount as I did initially seems unfair. Perhaps the improvements are much more substantial, but I don't know because…well…you don't have any proper tutorials which explain to me why Modeler 1.0 is su much better than DM 1.5.

Anyway, I hope you view this post as constructive and really consider some of my suggestions. I do believe your tools could be revolutionary for many Houdini users.
Fabrizio123
Personally, I'm with Midphase on this. Marketing is everything especially at this point in its development. Zbrush has always updated freely to its buyers and that has served them well; they rule their market against all competitors, even with Zbrush's drawbacks. I'm waiting for a proper tutorial and documentation set before I drop $100 on this and I'm crazy for it. I simply don't have the time to try to blunder through on my own discovering tool functionality.
Alexey Vanzhula
I have a lot of work. Currently, I working on Modeler v1.1. Then I need to make a release video. I try to make Modeler user-friendly as much as possible. If you know how to model in other direct modeling programs, it will not be difficult for you to read the documentation pdf file and understand how to use it. I would really appreciate if someone starts to record video tutorials about Modeler.
Alexey Vanzhula
Modeler 1.0 for Houdini 50% discount

https://gum.co/xKBKM/discount [gum.co]
Midphase
Could you tell me how I can set up a Packages .json file for Modeler instead of using the .env file?
Alexey Vanzhula
Modeler 1.0 for Houdini 60% discount:

https://gum.co/xKBKM/discount [gum.co]
Alexey Vanzhula
Midphase
Could you tell me how I can set up a Packages .json file for Modeler instead of using the .env file?

{
“enable” : true,
“env”:
[
{
“HOUDINI_PATH” :
{
“value”: “$HOUDINI_PACKAGE_PATH/../modeler”,
},
“MODELER_PATH” :
{
“value”: “$HOUDINI_PACKAGE_PATH/../modeler”,
}
}
]
}
Midphase
I just sent you an e-mail, but I thought I'd post something here as well. I can't get KitBash to work at all in Houdini, I'm using the latest production build in OSX. Double Clicking on any of the geometry does nothing, no object is created. It used to work just fine in 17.5.

Please advise, I am attaching a video of the issue so that you can see what is happening:

Image Not Found
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.