Search - User list
Full Version: How to use xyz_pointcloud_exporter
Root » Houdini for Realtime » How to use xyz_pointcloud_exporter
prisonerjohn
Hello,

I'm trying to export a pointcloud using the SideFX Labs “xyz_pointcloud_exporter” and am running into some issues. My goal is to use this data in either Unity or Unreal Engine.

I should also mention that I'm a total novice with Houdini; I've been messing with the indie edition on and off for about a year, but I'm more on the game engine side of things, so this might be a trivial question.

My SOP network consists of an imported PLY file (from Reality Capture), to which I added normals and flipped them using an “attribwrangle” node. My OUT network just has the “xyz_pointcloud_exporter” node and I set the “Export Node” to my SOP network. When I hit “Render” it just generates a 1KB file with a “0” in it, so I'm guessing it's not picking up any points.

I'm not sure what's going on. I also tried with a built in torus mesh but I'm getting the same result.

Thanks in advance!
lidija
I was having the same problem with the plugin - writes only a single 0.
I solved it by using the csv exporter instead and enabling Separate Vector Components.
You can save the output as a xyz file format. Also, check if you need to delete some attributes - for UE I had only P and Cd.

Btw the xyz tool is still not working, and there is zero explanation on how to use it..
Ambrosiussen
Hi,

The tool certainly has documentation if you press the help button on it. It is just very minimal since its a very simple tool.
We also covered it here: https://youtu.be/LHFN8ccf_8o?t=2274 [youtu.be]

PS: Whenever you get stuck on a tool, check out the example files we have on github for pretty much every tool in the toolset. If that doesn't help, contact support and we'd be more than happy to help
HenDaSheng
I also encountered the same problem. I wanted to export point cloud files in Houdini to Touchdesigner, but "xyz_pointcloud_exporter" could not fulfill this requirement.

Finally. I exported the .ply file through "Rop Geometry Output" and it worked smoothly.

TravisFX
HenDaSheng
I also encountered the same problem. I wanted to export point cloud files in Houdini to Touchdesigner, but "xyz_pointcloud_exporter" could not fulfill this requirement.

Finally. I exported the .ply file through "Rop Geometry Output" and it worked smoothly.

I tried the Rop export but also could not import into TD. I have a Cd attribute, do I need to do some kind of conversion with the attributes?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.