Search - User list
Full Version: Using Maya's instancer with PP arrays for randomizations
Root » Houdini Engine for Maya » Using Maya's instancer with PP arrays for randomizations
RumbleMonk
Hi,

I have an .hda that allows a Maya user to pick a .bgeo particle sequence. When I use Maya's instancer with custom per particle attributes to randomize e.g scale and object index (if instancing more than 1 mesh) it seems to initially work, but after restarting the Maya session it seems as if these custom per particles attributes aren't used at all anymore.

They are both randomized via a simple creation expression. I'm pretty sure there's something wrong with how Maya connects to the cache that the .hda is loading. Resyncing the asset e.g kills the expressions, but that's something I can stay away from..

Should just loading a particle sequence in Houdini Engine then instancing in Maya with per particles attributes like this work? Do I need to setup all the randomization on the Houdini side instead?

Tried in Maya 2018 and Houdini18.

Thanks.
johnmather
Hi there,

Could you please attach an example file so that I can investigate?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.