Search - User list
Full Version: The best way to plug a few hundred meshes into HDA in Maya?
Root » Houdini Engine for Maya » The best way to plug a few hundred meshes into HDA in Maya?
trtrlfx
I need to plug in a few hundred individual meshes from Maya into HDA inside of Maya.
I'm outputing a single mesh so that's not a problem, however managing 100's or 1000's of inputs (this number is never fixed) would be a bit clunky. I believe there is already a limit of 1000 inputs on the HDA itself.

I could combine those meshes and input this as a single input however I need to preserve each element unique id number throughout the setup inside the HDA.

I could perhaps use connectivity node inside the HDA to distinguish each element but then how would I be able to find out which original ID/name it was associated with.

Can I somehow just put all of the meshes into a Maya Set and use set as an input?

Any hints would be much appreciated!
johnmather
Hi there,

In my opinion, the easiest way would be to group all of the objects and then set that as the input. This will create an object merge node inside of Houdini, and will then pass that to your HDA. You can then use the “name” primitive attribute to pull out the original objects.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.