Search - User list
Full Version: Understanding this effect (rest post, noise)
Root » Houdini Indie and Apprentice » Understanding this effect (rest post, noise)
MilanB
Hello everyone!

Yesterday i just accidentally came across this effect (call it whatever you want ).

I will provide you with a file, where i show my setup, i used rest position, and used it as a P to wire into a noise (in VOP).
I wired time to offset so i can update and see the effect, when i wire independently the vector inputs from rest to noise, as i divided them with vector to float, to see what will happen if i isolate the vectors going into noise.

So, my question is, how do i go on understanding what is exactly happening? I do understand that after wiring independently (x,y,z of the rest, vectr to float) i get different outcome of the noise, and i can see it behaves per axis, so i wire only x input and i get noise on the x axis…which is fine, i get that. But i want to go a bit deep and understand why does that behave like that in the first place.

edit: i figured its much better to provide a file and see for yourself . Here it is
Island
Most of your nodes aren't doing anything. Only sphere, rest, and attributevop1 actually contribute to the scene. To see why your turbulent noise is doing what it is, add an bind export node after the turbulent noise so you can see it in the geometry view. You can see just the effect of the turbulent noise (not the rest position), if you wire it up directly without the rest position being connected to the P channel. What you are doing with connecting fval1, 2, or 3 is creating a vector where the x, y, and z values are all the same. They are all the resting x values if you use fval1, all the resting y values if you use fval2, etc. The color ramp really just is changing the single fval2 to a vector(3). You also go outside the range, which is why the bottom and top aren't deforming. That is easily fixed, though (Tornado.hipnc)
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.