Search - User list
Full Version: UV projection tool
Root » Houdini Lounge » UV projection tool
Pixelised
Hi there,

I'm relatively new to Houdini, loving it by the way and can't wait to learn learn and learn some more. But I was wondering for you seasoned Houdini peeps, is there any way you can model a 3D structure by using a 2D shape / UV guide?

Please see a very old video I did, a conceptual one for modeling via a UV map.

I came across a node - UV visualise where the UV map collapses to a 2D display, but my knowledge is a little limiting at the moment, but is this feasible to do in Houdini with the tools we have to hand?

Cheers

Scott
jsmack
You could build a rig that worked like that, using the uvsample/uvdist vex functions to sample from a template mesh in uv space.
mikhail s
Pixelised
is this feasible to do in Houdini with the tools we have to hand?

Hey, check out this tutorial [vimeo.com] one of the steps is what you are looking for i think.
Pixelised
Thanks both,

Something to explore for sure, I want Houdini to be my go to for any modeling these days, that way I can stay within one app, or at least push certain results over to C4D for final works.

Thanks both

Scott
Aizatulin
Hi,

if interested, here is an (experimental) approach using the uv-value to creep the geometry along a polygon surface. Your inputs are a geometry, which is in the uv-space to be projected onto another geometry, which has (unique) uv coordinates. In VEX you can use xyzdist() for example, to capture the source geometry in the uv-space of the target object. Once you you have this, you can use this to project your geometry onto the target.
Pixelised
Looking forward to trying this out, thanks for the file, I just wish I could get into my Houdini Indie! License issues yet again, nearly daily problems
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.