Search - User list
Full Version: Meshes are not showing up when outside the Subnet Graph
Root » Houdini Learning Materials » Meshes are not showing up when outside the Subnet Graph
opponent019
Hello, I'm pretty new to Houdini but not to working in 3D and scripting. I've been following SideFX's Sci-Fi Level Builder tutorials [vimeo.com] but I'm having some issues.

Main issue is: the meshes are not showing up when I try to preview from outside the Subnet graph.

Context:
I finished the first video, with the exception of the nodes that he skips and doesn't explain how to do (?!) and it works fine but when I brought it into Unity it kept giving me these errors:

I keep getting these errors in Unity after placing the tool in the map:
> Unsupported number of vertices per face: 2. Unable to set MeshTopology.
> Single mesh with group name main_geo has mixed topology (triangles and quads) which is not supported. Recommending splitting up the mesh or change Plugin Settings' Max Vertices Per Face to 3 to force triangles.
> Failed setting triangles. The number of supplied triangle indices must be a multiple of 3.

I could see the curve with the points but no mesh. I checked the Plugin Settings like it says but Max Vertices Per Primitive (there's no option for Face) is turned to 3 by default already.
This with just having pillars (stretched boxes) as the walls.

I solved those issues with adding a Divide node before the Output node but I think that's just patching a symptom of what's causing my issues since he didn't need to do that. At first I thought it was a Unity problem but then I realized that even inside Houdini if I go out from my graph into the parent graph (Subnet / geo1) I don't see my meshes anymore.

I've uploaded my Houdini file

Also, while you're here, if you'd like to explain the nodes that he doesn't explain here [vimeo.com] that would be awesome. He does it for the walls too on the minute 16. But my priority is to get this thing working.

Thank you!
CYTE
Hey opponent019,

your geo isn't showing up outside the subnet because you gave it two output nodes. your subnet only provides one output pin. so you have to change the index on the output node you want to use to 0.
The node he uses in the video is a group node it is used to add points or edges or primitives to a named group. You can then use the group name in many operations to only affect the associated elements. the equivalent in many other 3D applications is a cluster.

Cheers
CYTE
opponent019
CYTE
Hey opponent019,

your geo isn't showing up outside the subnet because you gave it two output nodes. your subnet only provides one output pin. so you have to change the index on the output node you want to use to 0.

Oooh thank you! Didn't cross my mind.

CYTE
The node he uses in the video is a group node it is used to add points or edges or primitives to a named group. You can then use the group name in many operations to only affect the associated elements. the equivalent in many other 3D applications is a cluster.

That's not the part I'm referring to, groups are used in everything and I got no issue with those. It's if you keep watching for a few seconds when he pastes a bunch of nodes:

He does the same in the minute 16. I know how to scale and change the pivot point, but I don't know how to make the walls/corners rotate depending on where they are and I'm not sure what formulas he used in the Transform nodes. You can see how his inputs are green so there's something else that he is just skipping over :/
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.