Search - User list
Full Version: Typical Deadline render workflow with Solaris
Root » Solaris and Karma » Typical Deadline render workflow with Solaris
danwnewlands
Hey,

I'm used to using the deadline ROP and connecting a Mantra node to render on our farm but whats the workflow for Solaris?

Would it be using TOPs?

Cheers,

Dan
Mark Wallman
Hi. yes TOPs work fine in Solaris. Here is what I have for this..

Best. Mark
danwnewlands
Thanks for this Mark, so in terms of comparing to the mantra workflow, in our pipe we would write out IFD files locally and then render those IFDs on the farm, not needing a Houdini license to do so, just a Mantra license.

I take it its the same with Karma but instead of IFD we are writing out USD?

I just tested with your setup and I can get the usd file written out using the local scheduler but the image render seems to error on the farm as it cant find a license, we have Karma licenses as far as I can tell?

Thanks again
Mark Wallman
Hi. I have never used Mantra but the two options I gave you are:

-use PDG to create a usd file that is what deadline look for to render using husk(this takes number of render baldes+1 for licences)

-manually create a master "render_usd" file that PDG then submits to deadline using husk (this takes just the numver of renderblades you need for licences).

Best
danwnewlands
Yes, thank you for the file it was a big help. I guess I'm just not 100% on the license side.

Right now everything seems to work locally, I'm writing out the USD locally and then rendering it locally using the localscheduler but once I submit the 'usdrender' node to deadline using the deadlinescheduler it seems to need a PDG license? Which we dont have at the moment. I would have thought that, like Mantra, as we are exporting the USD file locally and only submitting that for render there would be no requirement for a PDG or Houdini license to render the frames, only a Karma licenses, which we do have.

Thanks again mate
Mark Wallman
Hi. Your right. Everything I had done so far is a bit of a test growing of automating pdg wedging on the farm. When we roll out I think I will get the user to make the usd to render manually. Or maybe a two stage hda with one stage to make the usd and the other to submit the usd via tops. Best
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.