Search - User list
Full Version: HOUDINI taking longer to launch/start the app
Root » Technical Discussion » HOUDINI taking longer to launch/start the app
alteredgene
Hi everyone, been using Houdini for about a year now.

when I first installed Houdini, was very impressed at its launch time (not file loading time, but launching Houdini).

oddly, after about a year, it's taking close to 30seconds+ to just launch the software and feels like it's taking longer and longer to launch.

again, this is not about opening a file, but just launching the app.

i come from 3ds Max, and usually, with more plugins installed, it takes longer to launch.

however, with Houdini, the reason why I love it is I can just build my own tools rather than relying heavily on 3rd party.

so I do not have anything else installed (other than redshift, which I installed with Houdini about a year ago).

perhaps its some kind of cache file or garbage file that Houdini needs to sort out when launching, which could explain it taking longer and longer more i use it.

any idea? suggestions?

thanks in advance!
Mark Wallman
Hi. I know Arnold licence checking can really slow down Houdini loading. Could redshift be doing the same?

Best
alteredgene
Hi Mark! thank you for your suggestion.

my memory may be fuzzy (it's about a year ago) but I started the whole HOUDINI journey with redshift, thus my experience of faster loading of HOUDINI was with redshift already installed and licensed properly.

what i find interesting is that it seems to get slower and slower.

again, i have not timed the launch (maybe i should), but it feels noticeably slower than about a month ago.

now i would run Houdini and since it takes a while, will go to youtube for a quick update, and usually gets surprised that it's still not loaded (again, very arbitrary measurement of time).

i do have a few PYTHON scripted tools built as i work on production, but not many (and not too complex) and i only load HDA per project as needed (so i don't have a folder of HDA always loading)

is there any way of seeing a log of Houdini launching for troubleshooting?

Thanks!
AhmedHindy
can confirm Houdini is substantially slower with Arnold launching
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.