Search - User list
Full Version: Best method to assigning shaders on anim cache from Maya?
Root » Solaris and Karma » Best method to assigning shaders on anim cache from Maya?
Heileif
Hello,

I'm working to get a Solaris pipeline up and running, and trying to find the best way to assign shaders.

The problem i have encountered is the hierarchy will be a little different from Maya because of referencing and folder structure.

Examples:

Model: "char/char_DO_NOT_TOUCH/char_geometry"(used for shader assignment)
Anim: "ANIM/Characters/char/char_DO_NOT_TOUCH/char_geometry"

Because of the differences, the shader assigment don't work in Solaris until i change the anim structure to match model structure.

I fixed it in Stage manager, but i don't think this is the correct workflow, as the usd files that gets written out from Solaris takes as much space on disk as the anim cache itself.

I have to script this at a later point so everything goes automatic from the anim caching stage, but need a better overview over the best practices in USD first.

Hope someone here want to share some wisdom
mtucker
I assume the differences in hierarchy matter because you are using sublayering to combine these two layers? Instead, you could use a Reference to combine the Anim layer with the Model layer (by referencing both the Model and Anim layers into the same USD primitive). References let you point at any primitive in the hierarchy. So you could do:

Combining Layer:
/char
Reference /char from Model
Reference /ANIM/Characters/char from Anim
Heileif
That worked!

You were correct about me trying to use sublayering, using reference instead worked like a charm!

Thank you
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.