Search - User list
Full Version: Feature Requests: 1) Bookmarks on help 2) Address bar...
Root » Houdini Lounge » Feature Requests: 1) Bookmarks on help 2) Address bar...
ReggieFourmyle
Just wanted to get these suggestions in before h9 is released. This is in response to This thread [sidefx.com] that I started. With the warm welcome (ha!) of my last feature request, I figured I'd just keep on truckin and post some more:

mtucker
Just because we don't currently have a dedicated area for suggestions, don't let that discourage you. Feel free to post suggestions anywhere on here.
1) Bookmarks on help browser: This is fairly straight forward, a bookmark menu item on the help browser would be nice because many times someone opens the help to go to the same place over and over. This is true for both seasoned veterans and beginners.

2) An Address bar that you can type into: The “clickable” address bar is cool, but it's not very useful for navigation. Just about everyone using houdini would be able to use a simple address bar input like any old web browser. This would work wonders with an auto-complete feature, for example, if I type:

/obj —————– These options would be listed in a drop down as I'm typing:
/obj/ambient1
/obj/cam1
/obj/light1
/obj/light2
/obj/light3
/obj/model

Notice the ordering I put here is alphabetic, I think it may be possible to have ordering based on the order of nodes in a chain, but that may cause too much confusion, because what happens in the case of multiple chains, or two objects on the same level in one chain. Alphabetic would be simple, like the operator tree view (hotkey w).

3) A 3D animation curve editor: This is a feature I've wanted in a 3D program for ages, and I don't know how I would implement it in houdini specifically and unlike the other two, this would actually be a big feature. Now that houdini is entering the character animation world, I think it should be the first 3D program to implement a way to edit translate keyframes (just translate keyframes) in a perspective view. Why? Because virtually all animated translate curves are difficult to visualize and edit when looking at 3 separate curves.

I haven't thought through the interface 100%, but here are some suggestions on how this could work, and work well: It'd be best if you could edit the 3D curve and the 2D curves at the same time, so essentially the 3D interface would just be another way of editing the 2D channels. The color of the animated curve itself could be based on frames for example, maybe +10 frames would be red, current frame would be green and -10 frames would be blue or something of that sort. Opacity could also fall off near +10 and -10 frames perhaps, to make the animated curves simpler. There could also be a tick mark (imagine a particle) on the animated curve to indicate every frame, or maybe every 5 frames or something. I would imagine the “visual” settings for these curves would be in the display options. The interface for editing the curves, I haven't yet decided on, but this is a start. If anyone from sesi wants me to make an image about what I'm describing, just ask, I don't wanna make if it's not gonna get looked at :p. And no, this is not a path, not at all.

Anywho, thanks for reading, sorry for the long ass post, but I didn't wanna make 3 threads one after another.
pbowmar
I'd agree, these are both great requests!

Cheers

Peter B
Simon
You know if you click and hold on a word in the path it brings up all the other available nodes at the same level and you can jump straight to them.

Ie if you are at /obj/model clicking on model will give you the option to go to light1, light2, camera, etc….
ReggieFourmyle
Simon
You know if you click and hold on a word in the path it brings up all the other available nodes at the same level and you can jump straight to them.
Wow, I didn't know that, that's sweet. I still like the address idea a bit more for two reasons, 1) an address bar is much more familar, especially to houdini/unix people. 2) navigating with this drop down menu is still a little bit impractical in comparison, for example, let's say I'm in POPs and I wanna go to my source geometry, I would have to click the POPs menu to switch to obj, then click/find my obj and dive into it to get to my source geometry. Navigating with an address bar would only require that I type /obj/model/sphere.

pbowmar
I'd agree, these are both great requests!
Sorry, I edited it and added a third point . I was gonna hold back on that one because it's a big suggestion and I haven't 100% planned it out yet, but maybe I'll come up with some ideas for it soon and post em. Thanks for the compliments though, much appreciated.
Simon
Perhaps they would concidered combining what is already there with the ability to type straight in. That's what Microsoft have done for Vista.

I think the bookmarks idea is very good, I was amazed it wasn't already there. I tend to use the textport help most of the time so I've never needed it, but you are right for an html browser help its an odd oversight.
wolfwood
ReggieFourmyle
1) Bookmarks on help browser: This is fairly straight forward, a bookmark menu item on the help browser would be nice because many times someone opens the help to go to the same place over and over. This is true for both seasoned veterans and beginners.

Not a perfect solution, but better than nothing:

If you have a file called HelpPaneLinks in your $HOUDINI_PATH/config directory you can add “bookmarks”.

See $HH/config/HelpPaneLinks
Ondrej
ReggieFourmyle
2) An Address bar that you can type into: The “clickable” address bar is cool, but it's not very useful for navigation. Just about everyone using houdini would be able to use a simple address bar input like any old web browser.

You can use CTRL+l over the network bar to toggle to an input field.
pbowmar
Ondrej, I think you're getting ahead of yourself
stevenong
Yeah Ondrej, wrong forum.
Ondrej
oops. Pretend I didn't say anything.
djorzgul
A 3D animation curve editor

there is something like that (well exactly like that) in Reflex animation software made by http://www.digitalfish.com/… [digitalfish.com] unfortunately it is used just on calArts for now…
but it sounds like dream-tool for char animation…
ReggieFourmyle
djorzgul
there is something like that (well exactly like that) in Reflex animation software made by http://www.digitalfish.com/… [digitalfish.com] unfortunately it is used just on calArts for now…
but it sounds like dream-tool for char animation…
Wow, that looks just like what I was thinking, thanks for the link. Lemme post the two points off that site that relate to the feature I was requesting so that everyone doesn't have to go digging:

See Your Arcs with Motion Paths:

One of the most important aspects of good character animation is the Arc of motion through space for a given part of the character. Reflex allows you to see your Arcs with Motion Paths. Just click on any part of your character and Reflex instantly draws a path showing you how that part moves through space.

Adjust the Spacing Visually:

Another powerful aspect of Motion Paths is the ability to see and change the Spacing. Typically slow ins and outs need to be adjusted using a curve editor, but with Reflex you just select a path “bead” and group the spacing near a knot. Gaps in the spacing that would cause a glitch in the animation are easy to spot and fix.
pbowmar
Both of these have been possible in Houdini since version 2.5 or 3 (forget when the Channel SOP came in with CHOPs). Of course, you have to set it up yourself

Cheers,
Peter B
EigenAlex
here's just one example of it:
http://www.sidefx.com/exchange/info.php?fileid=69&versionid=69 [sidefx.com]
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.