Search - User list
Full Version: Understanding the use of Sublayer
Root » Solaris and Karma » Understanding the use of Sublayer
Mark Wallman
Hi.

I am trying to understand the use of the sublayer LOP. I have watched enough Pixar and SideFX presentations to get that I can have my geo all nicely UV’d in one sublayer and somehow have only the anim point info in the next sublayer, thus making anim caches light and independent of UV’s etc.
So right now I have two usd files. One with just the geo and the other the entire mesh/UV/anim data. I want to create an anim usd file that only contains the point anim data. How do you go about only saving out the point anim data using a usd ROP?
Have I got this right in my head?

Thanks in advance for any help on this.

Mark
mtucker
This is what the Layer Break LOP is for. Put a layer break between sublayer_geo1 and sublayer_anim1. Anything above the layer break will not be written out by the USD ROP.
Mark Wallman
Hi Mark

Sorry I might not have explained it properly.

Sphere_geo contains: Model, UV

Sphere_anim contains: Model, UV, Anim

If I add a layerbreak all I am effectively doing is loading in Sphere_anim and saving it out again, with all the data. I want to create an Sphere_anim.usd file that only contains the point anim data.

Or am I looking at this the wrong way around?

Should I manually delete the UV's (SOP modify) on the sphere_anim and export so the sublayer above which holds the sphere_geo has the higher opinion strength on UV's.

In theory I can understand what sublayering should be doing. It is just putting it into practice. ;-)

Best Mark
mtucker
Oh, sorry... In that case I'm still not sure I'm following... You're looking for a way to strip the model/UV data out of sphere_anim.usd?

I would say that ideally you should have never written the model/uv data into sphere_anim in the first place (which is where the Layer Break would come in handy). But perhaps the sphere_anim file is coming from some other package/process that doesn't allow you to restrict the data saved to the layer?
tamte
It may be handy to have a diff node that would create a layer with just the difference between 2 input stages
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.