Search - User list
Full Version: Karma Farm Management Software
Root » Solaris and Karma » Karma Farm Management Software
Andy_23
Hello Brave New World

For projects that allow, we are moving to Solaris/Karma. The great community here has brought valuable insight to light that reassures us in our decision.

For those of you who use Karma in production, I wonder if you could share any experience with farm management software.

With Mantra and back in the Softimage days we've been using RoyalRender and it's served us well. Since upgrading royal render would be a significant investment we're open to input for alternatives.

Thank you and have a great week's start.

Andreas
shadesoforange
Big steps Andy! Good luck on your path

Although untested from my end with Karma, depending on the size of your renderfarm Deadline Free mode might be an option. Couple of months ago they increased their count of free slaves from 2 to 10. See here [docs.thinkboxsoftware.com].

Other honorable mentions would be HQueue (), Afanasy [cgru.info] and OpenCue [github.com].

Cheers,
Manu
Andy_23
Thank you Manu,

I'll take a look at both Hqueue and Deadline.

Cheers,
Andy
Mark Wallman
Hi.

I originally made a TOP's Deadline submitter that would save the Solaris flow out as a single master_render.usda file. But in the end David who I work with wrote a usd submission script working directly in deadline. Feel free to have a play.

https://github.com/DavidTree/HuskStandaloneSubmitter [github.com]

Best

Mark
guilhermecasagrandi
Since both ROP RENDER USD and the TOP RENDER USD work with deadline and hqueue, both should work. I use deadline and works very well.
Andy_23
Thanks for all your input on this. We've done a test setup with a temp license of RoyalRender 8 and it fits nicely into the established workflow.
tas3d
I use Deadline and run Husk via Python Plugin for Deadline, works great.
Will be releasing my implementation in few months for free.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.