Search - User list
Full Version: how to use wedge node properly to name files?
Root » PDG/TOPs » how to use wedge node properly to name files?
mhspadez
I'm trying to set my wedges so that I can run a range, let that range complete and then run a different range.

For example, I just want wedge 1-10, let that finish, then do 11-20 (testing with smaller numbers in the screenshot).

It seems the wedge node is set up for this, but whenever I run it the second range overwrites the first one, and it seems to start from wedge 0 even though I'm trying to set it to higher numbers.

I've set all my output nodes to use @wedgenum instead of @wedgeindex and I've checked "preserve wedge numbers" in the wedge node, but that didn't do it. What am I doing wrong? Can anyone help me out?
axelsp
Hi, im new to this, im sure the guys will have a better answer for you in a minute. But wanted to leave me 2 cents too.

For names I tend use the Attribute Create node and create your name string there. Specially if you need to use substr() padzero() etc... . Id rather do it here and just reference the name att around the scene (i.e @fileDescription ).
But, if you can keep your name suffix as a simple index and pipe the data into metadata, Id say its a better practice in the long run.

As for the range. I think you need to keep ur total range, so 1-20, and use 'Filter Range' node to get your setup working as you expect it to.
Im guessing that if you reset your range each time you run it, from 1-10 and then 11-20, 'glitch_5.gif' will be 4 in (1-10) and 14 in (11-20). Or something around that line.

As for 'preserve wedgenum' i havent used it, but it seems to convert wedgenum from 'integer' to 'integer array'. So, say you have 4 wedge nodes in your graph and you check preserve on all the nodes. The first iteration of your graph, wedgenum should return the array (0,0,0,0) or the 5th iteration of the last node, wedgenum = (0,0,0,4)

Hope that makes sense,
Cheers!
doodlemaker
i have the naming like this: `@wedgenum.0`
this way it will replace that variable with the first wedge's values.
`@wedgenum.1` for the second wedge in the tree, etc...

depending on the number of values in the wedge it will adapt the name.
in the example it will be something like METAL.1.2.3.2.5.mp4

think you need to export the wedge attribute to the environment too if i am not mistaken
mhspadez
Thank you for your replies, I'm not sure if they're working though.

@axelsp so the frame range node looks like it has similar paramaters to the wedge node's range, but it doesn't seem to connect to the wedge attribute, I think it's seeking a range like a frame range instead of a wedge range, unless there is a way to set it to do that, do you know how to set it?

@jurweer I'm trying to understand your naming convention a bit more, are you saying if I write @wedgenum.10 it will start from 10 and then do 11... 12 13.. or will it just go 0.10, 1.10, 2.10., 3.10 etc?
doodlemaker
mhspadez
@jurweer I'm trying to understand your naming convention a bit more, are you saying if I write @wedgenum.10 it will start from 10 and then do 11... 12 13.. or will it just go 0.10, 1.10, 2.10., 3.10 etc?

this is an example from a recent project.

`@wedgenum.0` refers to the first wedge node in the tree. when evealuating the naming when writing out the mp4 (or any file) `@wedgenum.0` will be replaced by the value that is being wedged for a current work item.

ie.
3 wedge nodes
each have 3 wedge values

name.`@wedgenum.0`.`@wedgenum.1`.`@wedgenum.2`.mp4 results in name.2.0.2.mp4 for the work items that holds:

2, the 3rd value of the first wedge node
0, the 1st value of the second wedge node
2, the 3rd value of the third wedge node

in your case it will be 'glitch_10.gif', 'glitch_11.gif' etc. if i am not mistaken.

might it be an option to combine both ranges in one wedge? if you set the range to 1-20 and the wedge number to 20, it should produce 20 wedges with 1 increment.
axelsp
@mhspadez double check my post, i wrote 'filter range' node not 'filter frame'.
Set it to index and set the range you want to process.

What jurweer mentioned is `@wedgenum.0` will return the first position of `@wedgenum` in case you have 'preserve wedgenum' checked.

Worth mentioning 2 tings:
- you can right click on each wedge node and select 'generate node'. It will generate the attributes values and you can click on the dots to see the results/values realtime.
- check on the image below how to open TOP spreadsheet. Great help that is.
mhspadez
Alright, so the "filterbyrange" node is working for me -- so thank you to all those who replied.

For those who may also be seeking an answer to this down the road there are 2 specific pieces to get the node working.

1. the wedge node has to have a range that is --larger-- than the filtered range.

So for example, if you want to filter range 10-20 like my example, the wedge node above it has to have a wedgecount of 20 or more. if you want to run range 21-40 then you will need a wedge count of 40 or more. If the wedgecount isn't high enough nothing will be output.

2. filterbyrange node adds a "range" attribute by default using the check box for "set range attribute", this isn't needed. Instead change "filter by" to "custom attribute" and set the attribute to "wedgeindex" then set the range that you would like to see.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.