Search - User list
Full Version: Render starts slowly
Root » Houdini Lounge » Render starts slowly
uferi
Hi everyone!

First of all I'm a quite new user of the v9 beta in fact, but I try to make a tighter friendship with this software. Maybe I don't have to explain the reasons, I think those are quite obvious for everyone in this forum.

The first experiences are very impressive and straightforward but:

for example after creating a grid and a cube on it, placing a spotlight and creating a mantra render node and of course a camera to render from, the phenomena comes up:

After hitting the render button, nothing happens first. Then at the lower left corner the text says “(0%) mantra1 frame 1 : Rendering” and houdini seems to freeze. After a 5-10 sec the soft comes alive again, but nothing else. I'm waiting and the time goes by…and suddenly, after about 40 seconds the Mplay window pops up and the render really seems to start. The rendering itself is not slow at all but to get there is disturbingly long in time. I have to say it prevents me to find out almost anything about the shading-rendering- fine tuning.

Do you have any idea to set ENV variables or tweak our firewall ar anything to speed up the hole process?

Tech.spec.:
2 quadcore Xeon at 2.66Ghz - 8 cores together - so that is why I'm expecting faster respond (I tried to use only one proc. but no diff.)
Nvidia quadroFx 3450 - so the Ati issue is not related
runs on Xp

Thx,

Ferenc Ugrai
mertyamak
Are you running Macpro on bootcamp ?
uferi
My workstation is a PC
edward
This should really belong in the H9 Public Beta forum but anyhow. Does it take as long if you render again after the first time?
uferi
edward: Unfortunately not a beta issue, because I tried allready with a 8.x (non-com. lic.) and experienced the same. Your question is good btw., but the faster respond after re-rendering a frame means not 40 but 25-30 sec. On my friendĀ“s workstation (diff.company) the respond is immediate. We couldnĀ“t locate the problematic parameter of the architecture.

Feri
edward
It's hard to say then. Perhaps, there's something particular about your .hip file?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.