Search - User list
Full Version: Sending USR1 to prman to pre-empt a Husk render
Root » Solaris and Karma » Sending USR1 to prman to pre-empt a Husk render
blaven
Hello:
I am using husk to render a usd file with the renderman delegate. Looking at the docs for renderman, they suggest sending USR1 to prman in order to trigger a checkpoint and shutdown. The issue I'm running into is that husk seems to trap the signal and essentially restarts the render. Is there a way through Husk, to trigger a checkpoint, shutdown and also recover from the checkpointed .exr with renderrman? Thank you!

39% Lap=0:13:36.50 Left=0:21:17.10 Mem=1.21 GB Peak=1.21 GB
Trapped signal USR1
Current Memory Usage: 1.21 GB
Peak Memory Usage: 1.21 GB
0% Lap=0:14:25.93 Left=<unknown> Mem=1.21 GB Peak=1.21 GB

Renderman 25.2
Houdini 19.5.605
Rocky Linux 8.7
mark
`husk` traps USR1 to save out a snapshot - it continues rendering. snapshots are different than checkpointing.

I'm not sure whether the prman render delegate captures USR1, or whether it's the prman application. If it's the prman application, it's a different beast than husk.

In a future version of Houdini, husk will pass the fact it was signaled with USR1 to the delegate, and the delegate will be able to take actions (like saving a checkpoint and terminating). But it will need to be implemented in the render delegate.
blaven
Thanks Mark! I've also asked pixar about the signal trapping but haven't heard back yet. It'd be a nice feature to have to pre-empt low priority jobs.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.