Search - User list
Full Version: default - H19.5 ocio vs default 20 ocio
Root » Technical Discussion » default - H19.5 ocio vs default 20 ocio
timjan
Im in a middle of a project but really need the new features of Houdini 20. Ive run the default OCIO in Houdini 19.5 -converting all textures to ACEScg and Im happy w the results. Now..when I open up the same scene in H20 all the colors while rendering in Karma looks off.. Ive fiddled around quite abit but cant get the same results.. Not sure if its the textures/lights textures/lights color pickers or something else.. Before I dig deeper, do anyone know how to setup H20 just so that its default ocio behaves exactly like the one present in 19.5 ?

cheers
jsmack
If you really need the same behavior as 19.5, use the one from 19.5 then.

Alternatively, if you open the OCIO profile editor in 20.0 and change the scene linear space to ACEScg, it should behave more like the 19.5 profile. Another option is to change the colorspace for exrs to ACEScg if you have already converted them to that space and then leave the working space as the default rec709 Linear.
timjan
Cool, I will look into it, thanks! So just copying the ocio file from H19.5 should do the trick, what about the lights color pickers and/or textures ,anything different about them?
jsmack
timjan
So just copying the ocio file from H19.5 should do the trick,

yes, I believe so. I think the 19.5 config was also fairly close to the ACES 1.0 reference cg config, which you can obtain on github from the academy.

timjan
what about the lights color pickers and/or textures ,anything different about them?
I'm not aware of any changes there. I was a bit frustrated with color pickers in 19.5 as they tended to not work as I expected. Texture behavior may have changed in 20, but most of the change is defined by the config file itself.
Mark Wallman
Hi. Using H20.0.653 Could anyone tell me id I am I setting OCIO up correctly please.

Im bringing in a Cd value in from SOP's. But assuming this is like brining in a TGA or any 8 but image. Im rendering in Karma so want to make sure I am outputting correctly as well. Fingers crossed I have this right :-)

Best. Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.