Search - User list
Full Version: Another Curve to Unreal problem
Root » Houdini Engine for Unreal » Another Curve to Unreal problem
GrahamB8
Hi, my first post and a new user of Houdini Core.
Im successfully exporting a hda of a curve and when importing to Unreal 5 I get a spline component showing in my hda.
As soon as i use something like a copytocurves to add procedurally generated geometry the spline is replaced with a mesh object which cannot be edited through the now missing spline component. Im trying to do this at a very basic level to understand it but think im missing something really simple.

My curve is set to an editable node
Hope someone can help.
Cody Spahr
Do you have a picture of your node network?

Using editable curves is deprecated, and the new workflow is to use the Unreal curves Input.

That's not to say editable curve nodes won't work entirely. There might just be a simple fix to get this working correctly, but it's hard to say what it is without seeing the node network.
GrahamB8
So the curve side on the right works and displays as a spline in UE.
When I connect the left side torus it works fine in Houdini but un UE I only get the geometry, no spline.

Im very new, I only got my license recently so dont really know how to use the software yet, if you have any links to any learnings on the mentioned Unreal curves Input I would appreciate it, of course I shall also search on the same.

Our initial intention is to use Houdini to procedurally model fencing, barriers, kerbs, roads ect to enhance our engineering visualisation workflows so we are a little out of our comfort zone in this space

With the Torus connected

Without the Torus connected

Cody Spahr
I just want to double check one thing. That your curve is set to 1.0 not 2.0. You can change that in the top part of the details panel of your curve, under "asset Name". If this isn't showing up, you need to change one thing in your Houdini. Under the top bar under Assets, go to Asset Definition Toolbar, and set it to always show. Then the option to switch from 2.0 to 1.0 will be available. This should fix the issue for you.

But in Houdini Engine V2, the conventional method to editing curves, is to use your Input as the node to drive the curve. So your "Subnetwork Input #1" would feed into your attribute wrangle.

Then on the Houdini Side, in your HDA details, a new Houdini Input tab will open up. And you can set this to curves, and it will provide you will a suite of curve options. So adding new curves, editing etc.

Note: If you name your Input to "Curve" in the HDAs properties, Houdini Engine will automatically pick up on that name, and set the default Input Type to Curve. And not Geometry, or World Input, the other two options.
GrahamB8
Ahh thanks Cody, the Curve 1.0 resolved this .. I was playing with this previously but obviously missed something else at that time.
I will definately look at adopting the second approach, but Im relieved to actually see this working.

Legend
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.