Search - User list
Full Version: python op for chops?
Root » Houdini Lounge » python op for chops?
andrewlowell
ok, just getting into the python stuff today. I'm noticing that there is only a geometry python definition. Does this mean that I can't create a custom CHOP with python?
edward
Yes, that didn't make it into H9. I don't know what are the plans for that though.
andrewlowell
ok I'm going to cry now

It seems like the geometry one has to do a lot more than a chop one would. All the chop would have to do would be to access the “ic” … the oc would be a lot more powerful than the expresson chop since you could keep manipulating the channels (essentailly oc) until the desired result was reached with for loops.

Or am I looking at this the wrong way?
andrewlowell
is this what I'm referring to?

hou.ChopNode.evaluateInput() and
hou.ChopNode.evaluate()

and it just isn't implemented yet but will be? Also will a python chop type be possible when they are implemented?
edward
As far as I can tell, they haven't been implemented. Implementing those doesn't necessarily mean a python chop type since one can call HOM functions from anywhere python can be used. Of course, a python chop type will probably need those functions.
andrewlowell
I see, so I guess if they implement those you wouldn't really need a “python chop” it could be any DA with python script running those functions?
edward
Well, running python scripts isn't quite the same as using python scripts to generate your node's output. I suppose there could always be workarounds though but likely very ugly ones.
andrewlowell
o ok,

well I hope they implement a CHOP type .. it was just my impression from all the 9 promo, but I was expecting python was going to be “superior / replacing” the other languages etc.

Looks like it's still the expression CHOP for a while then. It's just very difficult to manage channel logic intelligently with the expression CHOP. Other pre-cursor channels usually need to be generated just to tell the expression CHOP what to do, the ability to use variables, and for-loops with nested if-statements would solve this problem and use memory MUCH more efficiently.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.