baking of procedural textures to ptex

5736   4   1
89 posts
Hi,

Is it possible at all to bake procedural textures in to the ptex format?

Some of you may have seen my work in progress for the food apprentice challenge. Rendering is now taking pretty long and I was thinking it might be an idea to bake the various channels once it gets to rendering animation.

All the best,

Staff
2593 posts
kiwi123
Hi,

Is it possible at all to bake procedural textures in to the ptex format?

Some of you may have seen my work in progress for the food apprentice challenge. Rendering is now taking pretty long and I was thinking it might be an idea to bake the various channels once it gets to rendering animation.

All the best,

There's not a really easy way to do this. I did hear of one person who rendered each individual polygon in their model using uv unwrapping, then used gptex with a list of the textures to create the .ptex file. This was an overnight render job, but fixed a texture aliasing issue they were having.
89 posts
Ah ok, I guess I need to start UVing the rest of the model then and just bake things to a normal set of RATs.

I was just hoping I could get away without having to UV and so forth and avoid any possible stretching.

Thanks very much for your help Mark!
8591 posts
you don't need to UV manually
just use UV Unwrap SOP
plug your geometry to both inputs and you'll get UV's per face so no stretching should occur
just be careful to set spacing to a correct percentual value according to texture size so the faces are spaced a few pixels from each other
then with baking you need to use no edge antialiasing or similar filter
then probably you need to use no filter when importing texture so it will not include black color from texture near the edge of individual faces
or expand the color information a few pixels before so filtering will use that color
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
89 posts
Hi Tamte,

Thank you very much for writing the explanation, that is most helpful!

All the best,