Optimizing/Render RBD point objects

3293   4   0
9 posts
Hi, i am having some problems managing data/sims/cache to render my RBD instance objects.

Would like to ask what is the usual workflow and if im doing anything wrong

My current scene workflow
- defining a source to emit particles using a popnet
- then using rbd point object to bring in the particles (cached bgeo)
- also in geo path i am overriding point value with a a range of SOP geo using `$OBJID%5+1`
- i have animated obj interacting with rbd point object
- cached this out as .sim with compression

Here is where the issues start to arise,
- reading the .sim files is taking a hit on my system and getting slow in playing back the cache to see result
- avg cached file size is about 70mb using compression

Questions,
- what is recommended to render these rbd point objects?
- where can i import these objects and assign my shader?
- if my shader has displacement does it treat each geo as unique?
- if i need the rbdpoint objects to interact with pyro how do i manage this data since reading them is already taking a long time?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Yes this is also posted on odforce. Was trying to get a wider audience here..
8598 posts
instead of caching whole simulation to sim files you can DopImport all necessary objects into SOPs and cache it from there using ROP Output or File SOP into bgeo or bgeo.gz files

for rbdpoint object you can even set Dopimport to import just points (with import style: Create Points to Represent Objects) and cache just that points, it will make your cache extremely lightweight
those points contain orientation as well so you can just instance anything on them at rendertime to get efficient render

yes, applying true displacement to instances will force mantra to create geometry copy per instance
Tomas Slancik
FX Supervisor
Method Studios, NY
9 posts
tamte
instead of caching whole simulation to sim files you can DopImport all necessary objects into SOPs and cache it from there using ROP Output or File SOP into bgeo or bgeo.gz files

for rbdpoint object you can even set Dopimport to import just points (with import style: Create Points to Represent Objects) and cache just that points, it will make your cache extremely lightweight
those points contain orientation as well so you can just instance anything on them at rendertime to get efficient render

yes, applying true displacement to instances will force mantra to create geometry copy per instance

Thanks i will try to test with different import style
20 posts
vlow
Hi, i am having some problems managing data/sims/cache to render my RBD instance objects.

Would like to ask what is the usual workflow and if im doing anything wrong

My current scene workflow
- defining a source to emit particles using a popnet
- then using rbd point object to bring in the particles (cached bgeo)
- also in geo path i am overriding point value with a a range of SOP geo using `$OBJID%5+1`
- i have animated obj interacting with rbd point object
- cached this out as .sim with compression

Here is where the issues start to arise,
- reading the .sim files is taking a hit on my system and getting slow in playing back the cache to see result
- avg cached file size is about 70mb using compression

Questions,
- what is recommended to render these rbd point objects?
- where can i import these objects and assign my shader?
- if my shader has displacement does it treat each geo as unique?
- if i need the rbdpoint objects to interact with pyro how do i manage this data since reading them is already taking a long time?

Thanks in advance for any advice. Yes this is also posted on odforce. Was trying to get a wider audience here..

Do you bring in the whole popnet in dops every frame? You need to do it only with new particles otherwise you will have tons of doubles in sim.
9 posts
well i'm killing in popnet

and in rbdpointobject i am using $F on creation…i would like for it to be emitting continuously throughout the shot..
  • Quick Links