Procedural Oil Well creation

3649   8   0
12 posts
Hi!

I'm trying to find a way of creating procedurally old school Oil wells ( there will be blood style)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/5d/Oil_wells_just_offshore_at_Summerland,_California,_c.1915.jpg [upload.wikimedia.org]

I was able to implement a ramp into a sweep sop and I think was able to have control over the shape but I am stuck and its been busting my head…

I am still inexperienced with the software therefore any idea and suggestion would be extremely helpfully and really appreciated . I'm including my save file.

thank you

Attachments:
oilwells.hipnc (102.3 KB)

12 posts
I made some serious progress. Was able to solve the issues I had by using some simple trigonometry. Now the oil well is in a state where you can control its height , divisions , curvature of its shape and add ladders and small details. If you have any ideas please share and help me build this!

Attachments:
oilWell1.JPG (262.6 KB)

696 posts
It's looking good! Do you have a specific issue you're stuck with? Otherwise it's a bit hard to know how to help you…

Cheers
Toronto - ON
My Houdini playground [renderfarm.tumblr.com]
“As technology advances, the rendering time remains constant.”
Staff
3455 posts
nice progress…
here's something I did in a few mins…
you might find some ideas here

Attachments:
oilwells_goldfarb.hipnc (128.1 KB)
oilwells_goldfarb.jpg (99.8 KB)

Michael Goldfarb | www.odforce.net
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
12 posts
Oh this is sweet and smart! I am still to learn all the different tools. I am uploading my save file if anyone wants to have a look. Next step would be to find a way to add diagonally lines. I will keep working on this and upload again when its finished. thnx for the help and interest.

Attachments:
oilwellNP.hipnc (208.2 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
one thing that gets people into a tight spot in Houdini is that they start building stuff and then hit a wall - it's really hard to stop and step back from one method to see that it's either just not working or that there is a better way.
in your file there is a great many transforms to move things into a specific place, this will make it very hard to make adjustments in the future
in my file you'll see that most of the structure is made from very simple things that can be adjusted quickly to effect large changes down stream
I think you're doing well, but steal some of the ideas in my file and adjust your work to take advantage of some of the tricks there…
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
12 posts
Yes! you are right. I found that the hard way and now doing adjustments. Thnx again for your help
12 posts
here it is..

Attachments:
Oil_well_gen2.otl (19.3 KB)

Staff
3455 posts
nice job!
Training Lead
SideFX
www.sidefx.com
  • Quick Links